Problem with WebBudget. Help needed or alternative software.
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 13:15
French to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

I have been asked how much I would charge for localising a website. I have downloaded the website with webbudget, but it is not downloading all the pages. The problem seems to be that a number of pages do not end in "htm" or "html" or anything of the kind. Most of the pages end in .htm?id=## (where ## is a two digit number). But if WebBudget only looks at the end of each address to see whether to download that page I'd have to type in each of the "id=##" seperately. Has anyone encountered simila... See more
I have been asked how much I would charge for localising a website. I have downloaded the website with webbudget, but it is not downloading all the pages. The problem seems to be that a number of pages do not end in "htm" or "html" or anything of the kind. Most of the pages end in .htm?id=## (where ## is a two digit number). But if WebBudget only looks at the end of each address to see whether to download that page I'd have to type in each of the "id=##" seperately. Has anyone encountered similar problems in the past and if so how did you resolve the problem?

If anyone has particular expertise in this area and you'd like to know which site it is, send me an e-mail and I'll tell you, but for obvious reasons I'd rather not post the name of the website online.
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ask the client for the files Jun 7, 2005

This may not be the response you are looking for, but for obvious reasons it is always recommendable to ask the client for all source files.

As you can see from your example, the software is not able to download (and probably also to locate) all the files from the website. Furthermore, some websites are created dynamically, i.e. upon request. This means basically that the content is not actually available as HTML but stored somewhere in a database, especially if the client uses a co
... See more
This may not be the response you are looking for, but for obvious reasons it is always recommendable to ask the client for all source files.

As you can see from your example, the software is not able to download (and probably also to locate) all the files from the website. Furthermore, some websites are created dynamically, i.e. upon request. This means basically that the content is not actually available as HTML but stored somewhere in a database, especially if the client uses a content management system.

Downloading dynamically generated HTML files is problematic because they may not reflect the latest changes and thus your quote is not based on the actual wordcount.

I suggest you ask the client to send you all files that need to be translated.

HTH.

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-06-07 13:17]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but I'd still have the same problem Jun 7, 2005

I've actually managed to download the site using another tool, but I'd still have the problem of having to count the words in it.

Baybars Araz
Baybars Araz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
teleport Jun 7, 2005

You can try teleport for downloading all files in a web site. But then you must use a separate word counting tool such as Anycount, etc.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 7, 2005

I managed to locate the text from the pages I could not download in a .js file. I saved this as html, enabling me to do a Word Count with AnyCount (I guess I could have done it with WebBudget, but by this time I was at home, where I don't have WebBudget.)

Thanks for the advice

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with WebBudget. Help needed or alternative software.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »