https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/33151-tm_tb_capacity_for_dvx_sdlx_twb_multiterm_wordfast.html

TM/TB Capacity for DVX, SDLX, TWB/MultiTerm, Wordfast
Thread poster: Mark Smith
Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:38
German to English
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

Hi All,

First of all thanks all of you who have read my posts and sorry for so many in such a short period of time. I hope too many of you don't have 'deliver all posts to me', or whatever, enabled!

I'm trying to find out about comparative TermBase and Translation Memory capacities for DVX, SDLX, TWB/MultiTerm and finally Wordfast. I'm having trouble coming by any such info, save for Wordfast TMs, which I understand (with a licence) are limited to 500,000 TUs and 2 mil
... See more
Hi All,

First of all thanks all of you who have read my posts and sorry for so many in such a short period of time. I hope too many of you don't have 'deliver all posts to me', or whatever, enabled!

I'm trying to find out about comparative TermBase and Translation Memory capacities for DVX, SDLX, TWB/MultiTerm and finally Wordfast. I'm having trouble coming by any such info, save for Wordfast TMs, which I understand (with a licence) are limited to 500,000 TUs and 2 million with WF Server.

Hope you can shed some light.

Thanks a lot,
Mark Smith
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:38
English to German
+ ...
Can you describe your request in more detail? Jun 7, 2005

Hi Mark,
Not 100% certain if I correctly understand the question - are you looking for limits to the size of a termbase/translation memory?

Best regards,
Ralf

Mark Smith
Mark Smith  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:38
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jun 7, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Mark,
Not 100% certain if I correctly understand the question - are you looking for limits to the size of a termbase/translation memory?

Best regards,
Ralf

Yes, I want to know what the max number of Translation Units you can keep in an individual TM in these programs is, and what the maximum number of terms you can keep in a terminology database file in each case is.

Mark

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast server Jun 8, 2005

Hi Mark,

Wordfast server beta 0.7b now can work with 200,000,000 TUs (I didn't check).

Wordfast allows 200,000 glossary terms (so 600,000 in total).

Regards,
Gerard

Mark Smith wrote:

Hi All,

I'm having trouble coming by any such info, save for Wordfast TMs, which I understand (with a licence) are limited to 500,000 TUs and 2 million with WF Server.

Hope you can shed some light.

Thanks a lot,
Mark Smith

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
DVX: 2 MB per database, I believe Jun 8, 2005

My main sentence database (the result of 5 and a half years working first in DV3, then in DVX) has slightly over 200,000 sentence pairs and is still going strong.
The only limitation I have heard of is 2 MB per database file (the limit imposed by MS Access). My biggest database file is at about a tenth of that.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just to clarify... Jun 8, 2005

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Wordfast allows 200,000 glossary terms (so 600,000 in total).

Just to clarify what Gerard is saying: In Wordfast you can use have three glossaries simultaneously, hence the total of 600 000.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
MB? Jun 8, 2005

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

The only limitation I have heard of is 2 MB per database file (the limit imposed by MS Access). My biggest database file is at about a tenth of that.

In fact, the limit is slightly higher than that: Microsoft says that Access supports files of up to 2 GIGAbytes in size.

HTH,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM/TB Capacity for DVX, SDLX, TWB/MultiTerm, Wordfast

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »