and
http://www.sdl.com/company/news/press-release.htm?id=16147

No near-term changes - in a report by Commo
... See more
This morning's news...
details on http://www.trados.com/press_release.asp?page=1907
and
http://www.sdl.com/company/news/press-release.htm?id=16147

No near-term changes - in a report by Common Sense Advisory (www.commonsenseadvisory.com), I read that SDL commits "to supporting all SDL and Trados products for five years"

cheers,
Roberta

[Edited at 2005-06-20 08:23]
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:04
French to German
+ ...
And... Jun 20, 2005

Software house SDL today announced a massive acquisition, worth half of its market cap, to snap up a US rival...

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=496944

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
From what I've heard... Jun 20, 2005

The sale has already been concluded, it should be officially announced today.

This will certainly give a lot of grey hair to my manager, since we have recently invested in TeamWorks and just finished implementing it...!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
Flemish to English
+ ...
Matches Jun 20, 2005

SDL,Atril(Déjà Vu) and Wordfast do not use the matches system as a marketing tool.
Trados introduced it to sell its products to companies. Freelance translators are the ones who pay the price for that marketing strategy.
I wonder whether SDL will advocate/enhance this strategy or not?

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received this email today Jun 20, 2005

SDL buys Trados
June 20, 2005
Greetings!

SDL announced that it will purchase privately-held Trados Inc. for US$60 million. With this acquisition SDL becomes by far the largest supplier of translation memory, terminology management, and translation workflow management products. Read about the deal, the challenges that SDL will face, and the implications for the industry.

This report is available now
Don DePalma and Renato Beninatto have written a Quick
... See more
SDL buys Trados
June 20, 2005
Greetings!

SDL announced that it will purchase privately-held Trados Inc. for US$60 million. With this acquisition SDL becomes by far the largest supplier of translation memory, terminology management, and translation workflow management products. Read about the deal, the challenges that SDL will face, and the implications for the industry.

This report is available now
Don DePalma and Renato Beninatto have written a Quick Take on the acquisition, which was announced today.
If you are a member, just login and download these two pages of commentary. If you are not a member yet, register and read our free reports.

Click here to read the Quick Take

Read more in our blog
If you want to read some more about this deal, read also our Global Watchtower, where we comment on news related to the industry.
By the way, did you know that you can get our blog automatically in your news? If you use MyYahoo, for example, just select "Add New Content" and add the following URL: http://www.commonsenseadvisory.com/en/news/glob al_watchtower_rss.xml

Go to the Global Watchtower

And while you are at it...
Two years ago we polled people who make their living in translation, localization, and internationalization on how they feel about industry conferences. It's time to check again. The survey should take you about 10 minutes to complete. Everyone who completes the survey will receive a copy of the 2003 report plus the list of top-finishing BEST and WORST conferences from this report. Take the survey now.
Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued support of our independent research.

Sincerely,

Renato Beninatto
Common Sense Advisory, Inc.
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
More info SDL - TRADOS Jun 20, 2005

http://www.sdl.com/company/trados.htm

I wonder what this means -
"We will provide clear and comfortable upgrade paths to next generation technology while maintaining 100% upgrade compatibility. All current products will be supported for no less than five years."

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
This is really good news Jun 20, 2005

As most translators, including myself for several years, were silly enough to not understand that SDLX is far superior to the faulty and misconceived concept of TRADOS software, the acquisition of TRADOS by SDL should be considered a good move.

It's obvious that SDL didn't buy TRADOS to have access to the much inferior TRADOS technology but will take this TRADOS crap off the market and have the translator community switch over to the fantastic SDLX and other translation/localization
... See more
As most translators, including myself for several years, were silly enough to not understand that SDLX is far superior to the faulty and misconceived concept of TRADOS software, the acquisition of TRADOS by SDL should be considered a good move.

It's obvious that SDL didn't buy TRADOS to have access to the much inferior TRADOS technology but will take this TRADOS crap off the market and have the translator community switch over to the fantastic SDLX and other translation/localization software offered by SDL.

I'm a long-term user of TRADOS since version 3 and have still upgraded to version 6.5.5 as soon as it was available. However, after discovering that TRADOS is not only full of programming flaws that can be tolerated by translators but even deletes entire source/target segments without the translator becoming aware of this when working with the TRADOS Translator's Workbench/Word combo, I switched to SDLX Standard (now version 2005).

I'm absolutely content with this fabulous software that excels the TRADOS crap by at least 10 times.

The acquisition of TRADOS by SDL means the imminent disappearance of the TRADOS crap from the market. The entire translation and localization industry will (have to) switch over to SDL's products.

I'm very glad about this.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:04
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Technological evolution would happen, in any case Jun 20, 2005

Tekkie wrote:
The acquisition of TRADOS by SDL means the imminent disappearance of the TRADOS crap from the market. The entire translation and localization industry will (have to) switch over to SDL's products.

"Imminent", in any sensible commercial strategy, may be anything between 5 and 10 years.
Probably not very different from what would happen anyway due to technological advance.
There is a huge installed base, for many Trados products, and they cannot be dumped in a shorter period. They will just evolve.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-06-20 11:51]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Workbench deletes source/target segments????? Jun 20, 2005

Tekkie wrote:

However, after discovering that TRADOS is not only full of programming flaws that can be tolerated by translators but even deletes entire source/target segments without the translator becoming aware of this when working with the TRADOS Translator's Workbench/Word combo, I switched to SDLX Standard (now version 2005).

I have to say this is the first time I hear about this... Would you provide more details about this error? How can I reproduce this bug? How did you lose translation units?

Daniel

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Not much to worry about, be happy! Jun 20, 2005

Tekkie wrote:

It's obvious that SDL didn't buy TRADOS to have access to the much inferior TRADOS technology but will take this TRADOS crap off the market and have the translator community switch over to the fantastic SDLX and other translation/localization software offered by SDL.

I had a long phone talk with SDLX's Product Support Manager (I know her personally from those days when I was SDL staff myself )

In a nutshell, the following is supposed to happen:

- At the moment, developers from SDL and Trados are working closely together to ensure 100% cross-tool compatibility (in terms of filters, segmentation rules, word count algorithms, etc.)

- In 2006, there will be a new version of both SDLX and Trados

- The ultimate goal will be an application suite that, as she put it, will "combine the best of both worlds". No Trados user will need to stop using Trados. You simply decide which interface you want to use for translating.

Somehow, I tend to believe that this is actually SDL's approach. Why should they take the risk of losing the established Trados client base? Now, they don't even lose money if people stick with Trados. In my opinion, this is an outright win-win situation.

Regards,
Stefan

Ahmed Ismail
Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
A sad moment for the localization industry! Jun 20, 2005

Doing that to be the unrivaled No.1!
If you cannot compete it, buy it!

They will acquire Trados and suffocate its products in very few years in favor of SDLX.
I am saying that because SDLX is not a friendly tool with Arabic and have various bidi issues that werenot solved untill this moment although they claim it is 100% compatibale with Arabic, which is not "true".

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
News Announcement: SDL & TRADOS Join Forces Jun 20, 2005

Dear Valued Customer, 20th June, 2005

At SDL, we have always believed that our customers are the most important asset to our business, which is why we have such a strong focus on customer service and regular customer communications. As such, we want you to be the first to hear about our exciting news.
The two leading translation t
... See more
Dear Valued Customer, 20th June, 2005

At SDL, we have always believed that our customers are the most important asset to our business, which is why we have such a strong focus on customer service and regular customer communications. As such, we want you to be the first to hear about our exciting news.
The two leading translation technology companies in the industry are about to become one. SDL has announced its intention to acquire TRADOS and its successful family of products to create a truly dedicated technology industry leader. SDL will now be better able to serve the globalization ecosystem - the strong relationship among all players in the translation process - bound by a common technology. We will also continue to apply our core values of extremely high standards for customer service and support across our entire product line.

So what does this mean for you? First, we will be able to provide you with more valuable and powerful solutions that continue to be cost-effective, and continue to enable you to be more productive. Not only will the merger lead to more innovative products, but we will also be able to provide them to you at a lower total cost of ownership.

Our research and development efforts and distribution channels can now be shared, leading to significant economies of scale and a less fragmented market, from which translators, language service providers and corporations are certain to benefit. You will have the support and strength of a $150 million company with extensive resources, dedicated to ensuring that you receive technology that is easy to use, powerful and more cost-effective.

SDL Desktop Technology will build next generation software, leveraging from our existing technologies and customer needs while providing 100% assured upgrade compatibility.

SDL Customer Commitment

We are committed to long term support and stability of SDL and TRADOS products in the market place

We will provide clear and comfortable upgrade paths to next generation technology that are powerful and quick to learn, which easily integrate into other technologies

We will continue to integrate product suites to work together seamlessly, based around XML and open standards

We will continue to strive to provide high quality products

We will dedicate ourselves to providing you ground-breaking, quality customer service and support

We’re sure that you will have questions, and in anticipation of those we have set up our website with important FAQs, reasons behind the acquisition and what it means for you. Should you have questions that are not addressed in the FAQs, we'd be very pleased to hear from you.
Please feel free to visit our website for more information:

If you are a Corporate Language Department please click here

If you are a Language Service Provider please click here

If you are a Freelancer please click here

I would like to extend my personal appreciation and thanks to all of our customers. We look forward to a new and exciting era in translation technology. Rest assured we will be constantly challenging ourselves to make you feel comfortable and satisfied with your choice of translation technology through honest and open communication and by listening closely to your needs and wishes.

Sincerely,

Keith Laska
Vice President, Desktop Technology Division
SDL International

-------------------

SDL Desktop Technology provides translators with a range of translation software tools that provide you with all the functionality needed to accomplish work whether you are translating directly for your customers or for a language service provider.

SDL and TRADOS have joined together to strengthen and better serve the globalization ecosystem - the strong relationship among all players in the translation process bound by a common technology. We will provide you with more valuable and powerful products solutions that are more cost-effective and enable you to be more productive in less time. Not only will the merger lead to more valuable and powerful products, but we can also provide them with a lower cost of total ownership.

Research and development efforts and distribution channels can now be shared, leading to significant economies of scale and a less fragmented market, of which translators, translation companies and corporations are certain to benefit.

SDL Desktop Technology will build next generation software leveraging from our existing technologies and our customers needs whilst providing 100% upgrade compatibility.

SDL Customer Commitment

We will continue to integrate product suites to work together seamlessly, based around XML and open standards.
We will provide clear and comfortable upgrade paths to next generation technology that are powerful, simple and quick to learn and easily integrate into other technologies.
We will continue to provide leading technology to the industry.
We are committed to long term support and stability of SDL and TRADOS products in the market place.
We will continue to strive to provide high quality products and professional support for products.

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products-freelancers.htm

[Edited at 2005-06-20 15:07]
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
SDL proposes to acquire Trados Jun 20, 2005

Good thing it is not the other way around. I would definitely get worried if Trados bought SDLX, thus bringing down their customer services. Just think - SDLX would start having all sorts of unsolvable problems. So even if we do not know what the future has for us, I suppose it could have been worse.

Cheers,
Burrell

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
TRADOS has a number of flaws Jun 20, 2005

dgmaga wrote:

I have to say this is the first time I hear about this... Would you provide more details about this error? How can I reproduce this bug? How did you lose translation units?

I had recognized this only once. A customer sent me an e-mail, claiming that a whole sentence was missing in my translation.

I launched TRADOS Translator's Workbench and Word, opened the uncleaned file and searched for that specific source character string. It wasn't there which, of course, also applied to the respective target text.

Now, I opened a copy of the original source text file and had the TRADOS Translator's Workbench/Word combo translate that very piece of source text, and voilà: Both segments were already contained in my TM.

Obviously, TRADOS Translator's Workbench had deleted both segments during the clean-up process.

I cannot know how often this has happened. Only this time, 30 times, or 34,532 times over all these years that I had used TRADOS?

To avoid this problem and many others like "damaged" TRADOS segment markers in Word files, erroneous cleaning, garbled fonts in the target file, etc., I downloaded a trial version of SDLX 2004 Standard and began working with it. I was overwhelmed because SDLX worked totally ERROR-FREE! I purchased SDLX after a very short trial period.

Furthermore, SDLX offers dozens of valuable advantages over TRADOS that I cannot list here without having to dictate (I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking, also for translations) more than an entire hour.

TRADOS is just crap. I'm glad to know that this junkware will soon disappear from the market.

BTW, I'm a very experienced user of CAT software for more than 13 years. I have worked with IDOC's XL8, Alpnet's Joust under OS/2, Alpnet's WinJoust, Champollion's WordFast, all versions of TRADOS since version 3, experimented with Déjà Vu, Transit and Metatexis, and am now an enthusiastic user of SDLX.

@Geneviève von Levetzow and @Stefan Keller:

I wouldn't give much on what company employees say. They often leave, switch to a competitor or a completely different industry, retire, or decease. As Dr. Konrad Adenauer, the first Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany, once said:

"Was interessiert mich mein Geschwätz von gestern?"
(Why should I care about what I've said yesterday?)

[Edited at 2005-06-21 14:46]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News: SDL proposes to acquire Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »