Tool for the translation of .cnt and .lang files?
Thread poster: ChristianZ
ChristianZ
ChristianZ
Local time: 12:45
English to German
+ ...
Jul 28, 2005

Hello!

Does anybody know a tool with which I can translate .cnt and .lang files? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Files can be translated with a text editor... Jul 29, 2005

Christian Zorn wrote:

Hello!

Does anybody know a tool with which I can translate .cnt and .lang files? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Hello Christian,

.cnt files (table of contents files for online helps) can be translated with a text editor.

.lang --> I guess this are text files, too.

You could change the extension to *.txt and open the files in Word.

HTH

Regards

W. Polmann
www.ecm-engineering.de

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
For Lang files, I used Wordfast Jul 29, 2005

Christian Zorn wrote:
Does anybody know a tool with which I can translate .cnt and .lang files?

I've never seen an CNT file, but the LANG files (or LNG files) that I've seen are basically simply linefeed plaintext files in the format:

SomeCodeHere123 = This is the text to translate

What I do, is to change all the "=" to tabs, then open the file in MS Word and mark the codes with untranslatable style, and use Wordfast to translate the text strings.

If you struggle with the "untranslatable" style, open the changed file in Excel and copy/paste the second column into an empty MS Word file, and translate as usual. In the end, open the original file in Excel again and paste the translation into the second column. Just be careful because Excel has the tendency to change certain characters or add and delete quotes, so be careful with the Excel workaround.

If you don't want to use MS Word, then any text editor will do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tool for the translation of .cnt and .lang files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »