Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 04:36
German to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

I am new to SDLX Lite and I have managed to do my own projects with it, but now I have received a larger project and the client has agreed that I split work.
My question is, what would be the best way to split work if I only have one huge (and I mean huge) file? (I have SDL Edit Bonus Release Build 16)

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Database sharing and work on copies of the original file Aug 4, 2005

IMO the way to tackle this job without actually splitting the file (which is possible in SDLX 2005 Elite) would be to work on copies of the original file separately (synchronizing TM from time to time). (Or better yet if you and your coworker work in the same network you could try and see if it is possible to share the TM. Then you would not need to worry about database synchronization and both translators would use the the freshest data. I have never tried this though.)

After both
... See more
IMO the way to tackle this job without actually splitting the file (which is possible in SDLX 2005 Elite) would be to work on copies of the original file separately (synchronizing TM from time to time). (Or better yet if you and your coworker work in the same network you could try and see if it is possible to share the TM. Then you would not need to worry about database synchronization and both translators would use the the freshest data. I have never tried this though.)

After both parts are ready you could update your main TM with your coworker final translation and use the Apply function to populate the remaing part of your file with the translations from TM database. The last part would be thorough review etc.

BR,

Romuald

PS. I've just done a quick test of SDLX TM datasharing in my home network and the solution seems to work.

[Edited at 2005-08-04 19:37]
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
we are not in the same network Aug 4, 2005

we're not even in the same city

Romuald Pawlikowski
Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Too bad Aug 4, 2005

Elvira Stoianov wrote:

we're not even in the same city

You can still work on copies of the file and try to synchronize the database by sending to each other the work you have done each day and updating the database with it.

Be sure that you agree to the same stylesheet and terminology before starting otherwise your hair will turn gray at the final editing stage

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best way for two translators to work on the same file in SDLX Lite

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »