Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 21, 2005

Dear colleagues

That's what you get for working on Sundays: I imported a .txt-TM into an existing TM and noticed too late that the TM in the workbench was the wrong one. Now that the TM is 'corrupted', can it be cleansed again? Could I remove entries with a certain date, for example or undo the last import?

I'd be really glad if anyone could help me out.

Regards, Marinus

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
German to English
Well, a bit more information might help Aug 21, 2005

What CAT are you using? Are all the TMs your own?

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM wrongly merged with another Aug 21, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

What CAT are you using? Are all the TMs your own?

Hello Steven

I'm using Trados 7 and the TM's are both rather large TM's that were provided by clients and that I worked with. I am trying to think whether I backed them up, but it so happens that the TM I imported into was not backup up. Any ideas?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I assume you are using Trados Aug 21, 2005

If so, you could export your TM using a filter and export all entries before a certain date (I assume that this should be possible).
The other option would be to export the whole TM, then open it with a simple text editor and remove the latest entries (the export seems to arrange them by creation date - I checked this at this moment).

Regards
Jerzy

Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM export arranges entries by creation date. Aug 21, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
The other option would be to export the whole TM, then open it with a simple text editor and remove the latest entries (the export seems to arrange them by creation date - I checked this at this moment).
Jerzy

Hello Jerzy

I immediately tried out your second suggestion and "Lo and behold!", it works. The entries are indeed arranged by creation date. That's great. Problem solved. Please accept a virtual bunch of flowers.

Regards, Marinus.

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Another option for future readers Aug 21, 2005

Glad you already got this worked out.

Another option--and the reason I asked if the TMs were your own--is that you could have filtered them by agency or client to separate out one TM or another. That is helpful if both TMs span an overlapping period of time and hence can't be separated by date.

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Raptor Aug 21, 2005

Here's another option in case manual editing isn't possible or too time-consuming, e.g. if filters can't be applied and the unwanted strings/TUs are not in chronological order: create an empty TM, import culprit TM into empty TM. Export both TMs into a CSV format. Get Raptor, a tool offering specialized string handling functions for password hackers, but also useful to ordinary folks. Copy and paste both files into Raptor and use the "remove duplicates" command. Make sure to uncheck "keep original" and click on "remove duplicates" button. Not for the faint of heart, but highly efficient.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the import of a TM be undone?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs