clean up two languages in one document - how to?
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2005

Word 2000, W- XP, Trados 6.5

I have texts with columns with 2 source languages translated to a sinle target language, how can I clean up each language into its corresponding memory?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Split the document Sep 13, 2005

Hi,
Not sure if I correctly understand the document structure you describe, but here goes...

Why don't you create separate documents containing one column each for cleanup? If required, you can cleanup the 'main' document using the TW4WinClean.Main macro.

HTH, Ralf

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ralf! Sep 13, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi,
Not sure if I correctly understand the document structure you describe, but here goes...

Why don't you create separate documents containing one column each for cleanup? If required, you can cleanup the 'main' document using the TW4WinClean.Main macro.

HTH, Ralf

I thought of that, but I know it would take me ages to reconstruct.... it's been a nightmare as it is, working from 2 languages (some was scanned text pasted into teh doc.)

All teh stuff is in the TMX, so that's OK. The clients isn't expecting me to be doing this in Trados, so that's OK.

Do you think I could create a dummy TMX to clean both languages into?

Thanks again, as usual, fabulously prompt:-)

Ailish

Well, that's what I did, once I had made sure each TMX was updated, I created a dummy memory, and it didn't object to teh confusion of languages:-)

[Edited at 2005-09-13 21:58]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Swapping language tags and cleanning again? Sep 22, 2005

...how can I clean up each language into its corresponding memory?...

Get a cleaned file not just for target, but for source language as well?

Rolf's suggestion is, if I understood him correcly, to change the file into a two column file - sort of a winalign-in-reverse. The only way I (practically) know to do this, is to play with fire i.e. with tags - I published something to this goal here

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/468/1/How-to-spell-check-your-TRADOS-translation-memories

Otoh, if we already dare to do that, I guess the easiest way is as follows (X1 and X2 are two RTF copies of your uncleaned file, Y is source, Z is target language):

a) clean X1 for Z-cleaned version
b) swap Y and Z tags in X2
c) clean X2 for Y-cleaned version
d) delete X1 and X2

... btw, I am wondering now, why it is not possible to switch Y and Z in the TM, not in the bilingual file... Probably it's possible, but I never though to check.

Regards

smo

[Edited at 2005-09-22 17:17]

[Edited at 2005-09-22 17:18]

[Edited at 2005-09-22 17:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

clean up two languages in one document - how to?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums