Mobile menu

Trados: Start a new paragraph (Excel file)
Thread poster: Giulia Sandrin

Giulia Sandrin  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 09:13
Member (2005)
Slovenian to Italian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2005

Hi all,
I’d need your help on the following technical issue (sorry if it has been already addressed in this forum).
I’m working with Trados 6.5 on an Excel file using Twindows. I don’t know how to start a new paragraph within the same segment.
I thought of using the ‘Copy source button’ to have all the paragraph beginnings displayed correctly in the target segment, but it doesn’t work. Pressing it just causes paragraph beginnings to be turned into a little square symbol.
Can you help?
Thank you very much in advance

Giulia

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use TagEditor Sep 27, 2005

Use TagEditor instead of T-Window for Excel, it's much better.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do you insert a paragraph with Tag Editor? Sep 27, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Use TagEditor instead of T-Window for Excel, it's much better.

Hynek, Tag editor is based in a tag system. Do you know which is the required tag for inserting a paragraph?

Thanks

Clarisa

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Line break in TagEditor Sep 27, 2005

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Hynek, Tag editor is based in a tag system. Do you know which is the required tag for inserting a paragraph?

Actually, it's a line break, not paragraph break. The tag is <br/>, but you won't have to enter it manually, because it will be present in the source segment.

You can also configure TagEditor to apply segmentation after a break tag (open Programs - Trados 7 Freelance - Filters - Filter Settings, go to Excel filter settings - Segmentation and check "Segment after break tags").

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many thanks!!!! Sep 27, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Actually, it's a line break, not paragraph break. The tag is <br/>, but you won't have to enter it manually, because it will be present in the source segment.

You can also configure TagEditor to apply segmentation after a break tag (open Programs - Trados 7 Freelance - Filters - Filter Settings, go to Excel filter settings - Segmentation and check "Segment after break tags").

I greatly appreciate your help! It's very important to know it! Know I'll recognize the tag, and If I need it, I'll insert it.

Regards,

Clarisa

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I usually use Ctrl + Enter Sep 27, 2005

When in the target segment, I press Ctrl + Enter to jump one line down without making any breaks in the target segment.

I must admit that I haven't tried this in T-Windows for Excel, but I know it works in both TagEditor and when translating ordinary Word files, so...

)

Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Shortcuts Sep 27, 2005

PCovs wrote:

When in the target segment, I press Ctrl + Enter to jump one line down without making any breaks in the target segment.

I must admit that I haven't tried this in T-Windows for Excel, but I know it works in both TagEditor and when translating ordinary Word files, so...

)

Actually, Ctrl+Enter in Word inserts a page break. To insert a line break, you have to press Shift+Enter.

None of these shortcuts works in my TagEditor (version 6.5 or 7). According to Help, the shortcut for BR is Ctrl+6, but it inserts a different tag. I can insert BR by pressing Ctrl+9 in TagEditor 6.5. In TagEditor 7, it only moves cursor to the left. Great, another bug, as if there were not enough of them in TE7...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
W-Window does NOT reproduce line breaks within Excel cells Sep 27, 2005

If there are line breaks in Excel (placed with ALT+ENTER), they will be shown in the source text in T-Window and if you use the command "Paste source" it will be shown in T-Window.
But after saving the file the line breaks get LOST and are replaces by a small box.

If you will omit problems with translating Excel, use TAG Editor instead. It is possible since Trados 6.5.

Regards
Jerzy

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Oh, my mistake! Sep 28, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Actually, Ctrl+Enter in Word inserts a page break. To insert a line break, you have to press Shift+Enter.

I didn't have a page open, so I just tried to remember what I usually press to make a line shift.

Too bad this doesn't work in TagEditor.

Giulia Sandrin  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2005)
Slovenian to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 28, 2005

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

bye
Giulia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Start a new paragraph (Excel file)

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs