SDL Lite - French accent with laptop ???
Thread poster: flavie99
flavie99
Local time: 22:50
Dutch to French
+ ...
Oct 4, 2005

Help helpHelp,
I just started working with SDL Lite, French translation, so I need accents on "e" and "a".
Sur PC, il suffit de faire ALT + code de 3 chiffres, but with a laptop, I don't have the last "square of figures" on the right, so how does it work?
In word, I do CTRL + accent + letter.
In SDL Lite?

Thanks in advance
Rgds
Flavie

Direct link Reply with quote

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Toggle between numeric keypad and standard keyboard Oct 4, 2005

you should have a feature on your laptop allowing you to do that. Alternatively, you can invest in an external numeric keypad that plugs into the laptop.
the numeric keypad issue is one of the reasons why I find desktop computers better suited for my needs...
Philippe

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Agree with Philippe Oct 4, 2005

Even though I own a laptop, I often use a USB keyboard connected to it instead of the keyboard of my laptop. My laptop isn't big, so I find the keys to be too "cramped" and after an hour of typing I'm already feeling the pain in my wrists.

And as Philippe said, you should find a key that allows you to toggle the keyboard and use some of the keys as a numeric keypad. But for accents, this is highly unpactical...

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:50
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
add language? Oct 4, 2005

flavie99 wrote:

Help helpHelp,
I just started working with SDL Lite, French translation, so I need accents on "e" and "a".
Sur PC, il suffit de faire ALT + code de 3 chiffres, but with a laptop, I don't have the last "square of figures" on the right, so how does it work?
In word, I do CTRL + accent + letter.
In SDL Lite?

Thanks in advance
Rgds
Flavie

I don't know what SDL lite is, but can't you add French to your keyboard and then switch languages with Alt+Shift?
(Control Panel ->Regional and Language Options -> Languages tab -> Details -> Add -> French)
It becomes AZERTY and you can get é by hitting 2, à is 0, ç is 9, etc.
Maria

xxxPFB  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
num lk Oct 4, 2005

You should have a NumLk button in the top right-hand corner of your keyboard (That's where mine is, anyway).

You must press it (control light should come on, but where depends on your laptop) before you can use the alt + 3-digit codes.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2005-10-04 18:52]

flavie99
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all ! Oct 4, 2005

Thanks. The "Numlk" thing works... only I have to press down SHIFT + THINKPAD + NUMLK before being able to make a letter with accent. Then I press the same again to get my keyboard back in normal state to go on typing...
Not the easiest! I guess I'll try adding a keypad or another keyboard, when working with SDLX.
But thanks a lot anyway, this allowed me to finish my first SDLX translation tonight!
Rgds

Bianca AH  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
laptop Oct 4, 2005

I have the same problem with my laptop - each and every time I need to put an accent in its: fn + numlk + code, then fn + numlk again to get back to the normal keyboard. Extremely laborious!
So plugging in a separate keyboard is definitely a good idea (and down the line, you'll save on physio bills for back/neck shoulder pain!). Right, now I really think it's time I also plugged in a separate keyboard!

flavie99
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same conclusion here. Oct 4, 2005

Well, at least now I know how to do it...
But I did go upstairs real quikly, to "borrow" the kids' keyboard! Much easier... don't have time for the physio!!
Take care!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Lite - French accent with laptop ???

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums