Urgent : MultiTerm glossary in SDLX/Wordfast ?
Thread poster: Lucie Brione
Lucie Brione
Lucie Brione  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English to French
+ ...
Oct 13, 2005

Hi there,
I have a translating job to do but all the files are TRADOS files, whereas I have Wordfast...
I gather this is not a problem if the TM file is in TMX format, which I can get hold of pretty easily, but there also is a TRADOS MultiTerm glossary which I need to use.
Is there a way to use MultiTerm glossaries in Wordfast ?
Failing that, is a MultiTerm glossary usable in SDLX ?

I can't seem to be able to get the answer from what I have read so far.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:30
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
You need a MultiTerm backup file Oct 14, 2005

Hi,

You can import a MultiTerm Backup file (a *.txt export file) into SDLX TermBase module, i.e. if you do not have Trados you have to ask for this export.

Once you have it, just open the TermBase module, click on the dropdown TermBase, select Import/Export and then Import Wizard. In the following window, from the dropdown selct Trados MultiTerm format and follow the instructions.

I presume that a *.txt (Trados export) file can also be imported into WF, but
... See more
Hi,

You can import a MultiTerm Backup file (a *.txt export file) into SDLX TermBase module, i.e. if you do not have Trados you have to ask for this export.

Once you have it, just open the TermBase module, click on the dropdown TermBase, select Import/Export and then Import Wizard. In the following window, from the dropdown selct Trados MultiTerm format and follow the instructions.

I presume that a *.txt (Trados export) file can also be imported into WF, but I am not sure, as I don't use WF much.

Giuliana
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:30
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just open the MultiTerm glossary as a Wordfast glossary Oct 14, 2005

Just open the MultiTerm glossary as a Wordfast glossary and follow the directions.

From the manual:

Wordfast also directly opens Trados MultiTerm™ (MTW) glossaries. Using the Ctrl+Alt+G shortcut twice on a term will pop up a window displaying the entire MultiTerm record, graphics included. When you use the "Select glossary" button to open a MTW glossary, Wordfast creates a separate TXT export of the MTW file and uses it; all original MultiTerm files remain unchanged a
... See more
Just open the MultiTerm glossary as a Wordfast glossary and follow the directions.

From the manual:

Wordfast also directly opens Trados MultiTerm™ (MTW) glossaries. Using the Ctrl+Alt+G shortcut twice on a term will pop up a window displaying the entire MultiTerm record, graphics included. When you use the "Select glossary" button to open a MTW glossary, Wordfast creates a separate TXT export of the MTW file and uses it; all original MultiTerm files remain unchanged and untouched.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Lucie Brione
Lucie Brione  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:30
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 14, 2005

Thanks to both of you for these useful pieces of information. It was too late for this project but will come in useful for the next one, unless I get Trados in the meantime.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent : MultiTerm glossary in SDLX/Wordfast ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »