Who can advise me on the best E mail account?
Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2002

I am looking for a good E mail account, that is reliable, fast and one which gives alerts. Could anyone advise me, as I need to set up a better alternative to Hotmail. That shouldn\'t be difficult!!

Best Regards,

Dave.

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
E-Mail account Jul 11, 2002

I personally am very satisfied with my Yahoo account, always in the bracket of the \"charge-free\" ones.

Hope this is useful to you.

Best regards from Argentina.

Miguel García Uriburu.
[addsig]

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:54
English to Swedish
+ ...
Get your own domain name Jul 11, 2002

I have my own domain name which cost me $18/yr and then $12/mo for hosting. I can then use an email client like Outlook, Eudora etc. No ads and personalized email address = more professional. This way, you can also make your own website.

I would recommend www.ultimatewebsitehost.com.

Just my two cents worth... Good luck!

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Eudora 5.1 is quite good Jul 11, 2002

Hello,

I have been using Eudora 5.1 since last year and it has proved to be an excellent product.

I had heard about it some time ago during a big virus spreading and forgot about it till I got a virus on my computer through e-mail. I then gave it a try and now I can assure it does work since two months ago it detected a virus on a message and just deleted before downloading it on the system. After accessing the e-mail POP account, this software checks a
... See more
Hello,

I have been using Eudora 5.1 since last year and it has proved to be an excellent product.

I had heard about it some time ago during a big virus spreading and forgot about it till I got a virus on my computer through e-mail. I then gave it a try and now I can assure it does work since two months ago it detected a virus on a message and just deleted before downloading it on the system. After accessing the e-mail POP account, this software checks all messages and if there is a message with a program that is automatically launched once opened, it will show an alert. If you prefer and click the right option, that message will be deleted straight away.

Eudora 5.1 can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.qualcomm.com/eudora. We can choose between a complete download free of charge but with adverts that change (kind of) monthly, a version free of adverts but paid or a version free of adverts but with restrict access to functions. I personally prefer the sponsored mode (the complete version with adverts and free of charge) since some adverts are quite interesting (new movies, new CDs, books or software) and the complete version offers the best protection against virus.

To get the full protection, after downloading the program you should read the instructions to turn all the virus protections on.

Although this software seems to be quite reliable and does not need any other e-mail program to support it, I am not quite sure whether it is possible to access messages directly from a hotmail account (I have not found the way yet). However, if you have an account that is not from hotmail, Yahoo, Angelfire or similar it should be ok.

I have a \"POP\" account and it works fine with Eudora.

Well, hope this helps.

Best regards,

mmachado
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
David, Jul 11, 2002

visit http://www.stargateinc.com/.

You will pay $13,95 for one domain or $8,85/pc, if you register 2 domains.

However, if you buy hosting first ($ 6,95/month, you will get one domain name free.

If you would like to see more offers, visit

www.internic.com for other registrars.

I have newly written an artic
... See more
visit http://www.stargateinc.com/.

You will pay $13,95 for one domain or $8,85/pc, if you register 2 domains.

However, if you buy hosting first ($ 6,95/month, you will get one domain name free.

If you would like to see more offers, visit

www.internic.com for other registrars.

I have newly written an article on registering domains for a Polish computer magazine, so I have studied carefuly the offers.

Good luck and regards!

Andrzej
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yahoo Jul 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-11 20:18, dashgbr wrote:

Could anyone advise me, as I need to set up a better alternative to Hotmail. That shouldn\'t be difficult!!

Best Regards,

Dave.

Hi, Dave.

I\'ve been using Yahoo for 4 years now and I can\'t complain. And I use it as my main account! It\'s fast, reliable and it has Yahoo Messenger to alert you, plus ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-11 20:18, dashgbr wrote:

Could anyone advise me, as I need to set up a better alternative to Hotmail. That shouldn\'t be difficult!!

Best Regards,

Dave.

Hi, Dave.

I\'ve been using Yahoo for 4 years now and I can\'t complain. And I use it as my main account! It\'s fast, reliable and it has Yahoo Messenger to alert you, plus lots of other services. I love it.

What\'s more, one day you decide to register your own domain with them (i.e. they manage the account and do the procedures) and you receive all your mails in the same inbox. Very convenient!

Hope that helps.

Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Valeria

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
[email protected] Jul 12, 2002

Our web-based email solution (administered by everyone.net) has received excellent reviews from members. It is much faster and far less spammed than hotmail. Give it a try, it is free. One thing: you will get an occasional ad from everyone.net. Ignoring those (or even upgrading your membership with them) seems to be worth it.

http://proz.mail.everyone.net

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
English to Japanese
+ ...
@language.proz.com dosen't have Japanese font?? Jul 12, 2002

I am quite satisfied with the @language.proz.com. mail. Only thing I can\'t do is to read Japanese writings. may be I am not clever enough to make it work...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Kaori Jul 12, 2002

Thanks, Kaori, I should have pointed that out. There have been complaints related to double-byte language support.

Henry

krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Local time: 15:24
Japanese to English
+ ...
your new photograph is nice henry. Jul 12, 2002

henry sama,

anatano atarashii shashin ha totemo kirei desu.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Yahoo et al. Jul 12, 2002

My ha\'penny\'s worth...

I use Yahoo as well and am pretty satisfied. Some remarks:

1. The free mailbox size is 6MB. If you pay money, you can expand this to 100MB.

2. The worst limitation (to me) is that you can only send 3 attachments at a time, and their total size cannot exceed 1.5MB. So if you have a whole bunch of little files to ship, you have to zip them or something - a bit of a pain. I don\'t know if this changes when you expand the s
... See more
My ha\'penny\'s worth...

I use Yahoo as well and am pretty satisfied. Some remarks:

1. The free mailbox size is 6MB. If you pay money, you can expand this to 100MB.

2. The worst limitation (to me) is that you can only send 3 attachments at a time, and their total size cannot exceed 1.5MB. So if you have a whole bunch of little files to ship, you have to zip them or something - a bit of a pain. I don\'t know if this changes when you expand the size of the mailbox.

3. Yahoo _never_ broke down, was suspended for repairs etc. I\'ve had my account for about 2 years now.

HTH

Pawel Skalinski

Collapse

Li-chuan Yen
Li-chuan Yen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
English to Chinese
Change the encoding or view in Outlook Express Jul 12, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-12 02:11, KaoriMyatt wrote:

I am quite satisfied with the @language.proz.com. mail. Only thing I can\'t do is to read Japanese writings. may be I am not clever enough to make it work...

In the web interface, my experience is the Chinese will show, but corrupt while I forward or reply the message. When I use my own computer, I view the messages in Outlook Express and the Chi... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-12 02:11, KaoriMyatt wrote:

In the web interface, my experience is the Chinese will show, but corrupt while I forward or reply the message. When I use my own computer, I view the messages in Outlook Express and the Chinese characters are perfectly OK.

Li-chuan ▲ Collapse

Kaori Myatt
Kaori Myatt  Identity Verified
France
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thanks Li-chuan. Jul 12, 2002

I always view my Japanese message that way. It works too. It is OK but also a hassle.

The some sentences of the Kudos question messages are OK.

Mostly, I can\'t view Japanese caractors...

MarianneH
MarianneH
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Yahoo Jul 13, 2002

I see many are suggesting Yahoo. I also use Yahoo as my main account. My reasons are:

- for a nominal fee, I can access it with POP3 from home and on the web as soon as I am away from my own computer

- as far as e-mails go, it is rather stable

- I will never use a main provider\'s e-mail as my main mail again. That way, I will never have to send another \"I\'ve moved and have a new e-mail address too\" or \"My provider went bust (yah
... See more
I see many are suggesting Yahoo. I also use Yahoo as my main account. My reasons are:

- for a nominal fee, I can access it with POP3 from home and on the web as soon as I am away from my own computer

- as far as e-mails go, it is rather stable

- I will never use a main provider\'s e-mail as my main mail again. That way, I will never have to send another \"I\'ve moved and have a new e-mail address too\" or \"My provider went bust (yahoo might go bust - hope not - but I would think they would offer new providers as they have so many clients)

The POP/web access combination is my biggest plus - traveller that I am

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who can advise me on the best E mail account?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »