Fuzzy matches in SDLX versus Trados
Thread poster: RB Translations

RB Translations  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Hello everybody,
one of the agencies I work for has asked me to start using SDLX for a regular assignment. Well, I have Trados and have never used SDLX, I downloaded the Lite version, which basically only allows me to translate in a pre-segmented pre-translated text, all of the rest of the work (TM and so on) is done by the agency.
Now, they want to have just two rates in this case: 100% and >75%. Usually I apply a reduced rate for fuzzy matches up to 85%, because 75% means a lot of work on my part. I have heard that different CAT tools have differente fuzzy matches (that is, if you analyse the same text with Trados and SDLX you don't get the same %s). Is there anyone out there who has experience with SDLX who could tell me (roughly) how good is a 75% match in this tool? Would it be safe to apply one reduced rate for fuzzy matches between 75 and 99%?
Note that the TM has been produced solely with my previous work, so it is very "useable".
Thank you for helping out!

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
There is no general bias Nov 29, 2005

I remember I compared them a year ago, when I unavailingly tried to find out what "fuzzy match" really means. Although the fuzzy percentages of SDLX and Trados are usually very different, you cannot say that one is generally higher than the other. It depends very much on the kind of text and even on the single text you analyse.
I would offer the same fuzzy scale for both, and I would prefer to work in SDLX.

[Edited at 2005-11-29 17:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy matches in SDLX versus Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs