Thread poster: MIGUEL JIMENEZ
MIGUEL JIMENEZ
MIGUEL JIMENEZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

Hi,
I am trying to compile a big corpus of text extracted from webpages for some research. I was wondering if anybody would know what would be the best tool to extract "translatable" text only from html pages and create a separate text file. This would be for research purpouses only, I would not need to convert back to html, xml or anything.
Thanks for your help

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
German to English
+ ...
Html text extraction Nov 29, 2005

Why not simply open the html file in a suitable word processor (such as OpenOffice.org) and "Save As" plain text? Are there too many files?

Marc

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:13
English to Spanish
Word processors miss text Nov 29, 2005

MarcPrior wrote:

Why not simply open the html file in a suitable word processor (such as OpenOffice.org) and "Save As" plain text? Are there too many files?

Marc

Word processors usually ignore translateable attributes, such as "alt" in images.

Rodolfo

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
.. Nov 29, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Word processors usually ignore translateable attributes, such as "alt" in images.

I doubt that someone who needs "to compile a big corpus of text extracted from webpages for some research" needs the alt attribute of an image.

Another solution would be to open the file with a text editor and remove all html tags. This should be able with regexp.

Sonja

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
HTML2TXT and a DOS command Nov 29, 2005

MIGUEL JIMENEZ wrote:
I am trying to compile a big corpus of text extracted from webpages for some research. I was wondering if anybody would know what would be the best tool to extract "translatable" text only from html pages and create a separate text file.

In two steps.

1. Download Bobsoft's HTML2TXT and use it to convert all the html files into text files:
http://www.bobsoft.com/h2t/

2. Merge all the text files into a single file, using the following DOS command:
copy *.* > /b all.txt

Good luck!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try Caterpillar (shareware) Nov 29, 2005

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Well, in that case, try Caterpillar by Stormdance. The web site says "Extracts all text requiring translation - including hidden text and text within tags etc."

The shareware version is limited to 8 HTML pages per project, though. Cost for full version is GBP 25.00. The author claims it is "Wordfast compatible".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Html text extraction

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »