Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:04
German to English
+ ...
Dec 9, 2005

I used SDLX in mid-2002 and found the following significant faults. I would like to know if they have now been fixed, especially if you used SDLX at that time and were aware of these problems.

1. Using the XML filter:
If the .xml file contains a tag < a u t h o r ..... /> (or < a u t h o r ....>), that tag hides all subsequent content of the .xml document from SDLX. (the "author" tag is in fact without spaces: if I omit the spaces it doesn't display properly)

2. I
... See more
I used SDLX in mid-2002 and found the following significant faults. I would like to know if they have now been fixed, especially if you used SDLX at that time and were aware of these problems.

1. Using the XML filter:
If the .xml file contains a tag < a u t h o r ..... /> (or < a u t h o r ....>), that tag hides all subsequent content of the .xml document from SDLX. (the "author" tag is in fact without spaces: if I omit the spaces it doesn't display properly)

2. I came to the conclusion that when it is analysing a .dtd file (also in the XML context), it takes "->" as the end of a comment, but it should take only "-->".

3. In the editor:
3.1 Selection errors can occur when using Shift and the arrow keys to select text, in my case to select text in a segment containing horizontal-tab characters. The "selected" text (white on blue) does not
correspond to what will be deleted if Del is pressed.
3.2 Smooth scrolling does not occur with large segments (larger than the window in
which they are displayed). Result: it was nearly impossible to select the second half of a large target segment in order to cut and paste it into the next segment that resulted from splitting the same segment on the
source side of the screen; it is precisely in large segments that this is most likely to be wanted.
3.3 If one does somehow manage to select some text and move it into a different segment (an empty one created by splitting a source segment), some of the text has been removed, namely occurrences of LineFeed (ASCII value 10) which displays as a vertical red line in the segment. In the text I was translating, I didn't know whether these characters are significant, and therefore I could not allow
myself to split large segments. Even if they are not significant, SDLX did not cut and paste the text I selected - it modified it.

My conclusion (I informed SDL of this on 10june2002 but got no response) was: "SDLX may be at an advanced stage of development but it is not yet ready
to be put on the market for sale to users who have a serious need for usable working translation software."
Oliver

[Edited at 2005-12-09 20:08]

[Edited at 2005-12-09 20:09]

[Edited at 2005-12-09 20:12]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Try again Dec 10, 2005

Hi Oliver,

You do not specify which version/build you were using and I fear that this will inevitably frustrate your receiving clear answers to your questions.

As this was all obviously some time ago, I can only recommend that you download the latest trial version in order to ascertain for yourself to what extent these issues have been resolved.

You will pro
... See more
Hi Oliver,

You do not specify which version/build you were using and I fear that this will inevitably frustrate your receiving clear answers to your questions.

As this was all obviously some time ago, I can only recommend that you download the latest trial version in order to ascertain for yourself to what extent these issues have been resolved.

You will probably also find a subscription to: [email protected] quite useful and I can certainly say that http://support.sdl.com is worthwhile consulting these days.

Within the last 2 weeks, I was able to sort out a tricky problem with the kind help of these two resources.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Chris
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but ... Dec 10, 2005

Textklick wrote:
Hi Oliver,

Since that time I have installed a later version of Windows, and not re-installed SDLX as I have so far not felt the need for it.

My interest is in whether anybody has had such problems with previous releases and found that they have been cured in later releases.
Oliver

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Ask them again Dec 11, 2005

Hi Oliver,

I think you might want to put these questions to SDLX customer support again. I have used different version of SDLX since around 2002, and have somehow managed to use SDLX to earn for my first Trados license. I still like using SDLX better than Trados.

But CAT wars aside, and speaking of long segments, there are several options:

a) improve the segmnentation rules, if these long segments contain several sentences. When I first started working with
... See more
Hi Oliver,

I think you might want to put these questions to SDLX customer support again. I have used different version of SDLX since around 2002, and have somehow managed to use SDLX to earn for my first Trados license. I still like using SDLX better than Trados.

But CAT wars aside, and speaking of long segments, there are several options:

a) improve the segmnentation rules, if these long segments contain several sentences. When I first started working with SDLX, I found by experimenting that the Trados style default set of seg. rules was actually better than the default one in SDLX. So, I prefer SDLX but take the best of both worlds

b) even if something is missing from the formatting of the text you pasted in the empty box after splitting a long segment, you can still use the format painting feature to repair it, because nothing was removed from the source part of the segment.

HTH

Piotr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have these SDLX problems been cured?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »