Can translations with Wordfast be put into SDLX-Lite files?
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:09
English to German
Jan 18, 2006

Hello,

is there a (fast and easy) way to get translations done with Wordfast into SDLX-Lite files?

I love my Wordfast, but my favourite agency wants me to work with SDLX-Lite now.

I have read the manual and worked with it for a couple of hours and I found out that I really do not like this programme. The way it works is not the way I would like to work...
It would be great to translate the files with Wordfast and then to put the translation into the S
... See more
Hello,

is there a (fast and easy) way to get translations done with Wordfast into SDLX-Lite files?

I love my Wordfast, but my favourite agency wants me to work with SDLX-Lite now.

I have read the manual and worked with it for a couple of hours and I found out that I really do not like this programme. The way it works is not the way I would like to work...
It would be great to translate the files with Wordfast and then to put the translation into the SDLX-files!

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Katrin
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can, but Jan 19, 2006

Hello Katrin!
I got curious after you initial posting in the German forum. I installed the trial version of SDLX 2005 and looked through the tutorial (I have not prior experience with SDLX). Then I chose a file which I had translated with Wordfast last week, converted the Wf TM I had used for it from txt to tmw, and proceeded with SDLX.
SDLX automatically translated most of the file (a 22 page technical manual formatted in Word with headers and images), but in many places it did not
... See more
Hello Katrin!
I got curious after you initial posting in the German forum. I installed the trial version of SDLX 2005 and looked through the tutorial (I have not prior experience with SDLX). Then I chose a file which I had translated with Wordfast last week, converted the Wf TM I had used for it from txt to tmw, and proceeded with SDLX.
SDLX automatically translated most of the file (a 22 page technical manual formatted in Word with headers and images), but in many places it did not find a suitable segment from the TM.
I dont know why, perhaps the segmentation rules differ. One could copy the missing segments into place manually, but there must be a better way.
In Trados one can pretranslate the file and translate then with Wordfast, so Wf would segment the text the same way as Trados. I do not know, how to pretranslate with SDLX so far.
Thank you for introducing me to SDLX! Today I had nothing to do anyway, so this was a good opportunity to learn something new.

Try the tutorial, if you haven't done yet.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Eric Green
Eric Green
German to English
Converting txt to tmw Dec 17, 2006

Hello Heinrich,

You were writing earlier, far far earlier, on this forum about your trial with SDLX. In this you mention that you converted a .txt file to .tmw. I am trying to do this very thing right now and am having ever so much trouble. It seemed so easy when you mentioned it, just a breezy casual "I converted the txt file to tmw" but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Would you tell me how you did?

Thank you,

Eric Green

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Use Enlaso's Olifant TM editor Dec 19, 2006

You were writing earlier, far far earlier, on this forum about your trial with SDLX. In this you mention that you converted a .txt file to .tmw. I am trying to do this very thing right now and am having ever so much trouble. It seemed so easy when you mentioned it, just a breezy casual "I converted the txt file to tmw" but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Would you tell me how you did?

You can do this very easily with the Olifant TM editor whi
... See more

You can do this very easily with the Olifant TM editor which can be downloaded free of charge.
http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

David Turner
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Or alternatively use the Wordfast toolbar Dec 19, 2006

In this you mention that you converted a .txt file to .tmw. I am trying to do this very thing right now and am having ever so much trouble. It seemed so easy when you mentioned it, just a breezy casual "I converted the txt file to tmw" but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Would you tell me how you did?

Or, if you are using Wordfast, click on the TM/Glossary editor button in the Wordfast toolbar, click on the Tools button, and select the "Export
... See more
In this you mention that you converted a .txt file to .tmw. I am trying to do this very thing right now and am having ever so much trouble. It seemed so easy when you mentioned it, just a breezy casual "I converted the txt file to tmw" but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Would you tell me how you did?

Or, if you are using Wordfast, click on the TM/Glossary editor button in the Wordfast toolbar, click on the Tools button, and select the "Export to TMX" special filter (will create a TMX export of your current TM).

David Turner
Collapse

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Possible workaround Dec 20, 2006

It would be great to translate the files with Wordfast and then to put the translation into the SDLX-files!

I don't like it either. Haven't tried it in a while but you used to be able to copy the whole right-hand column of the itd file in SDLX, paste it into a Word file, do the translation with WordFast or another CAT tool, clean up, and then paste the translation back into SDLX over the right column and carry out format painting.

David Turner

Bérangère Chevallier
Bérangère Chevallier
Spain
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
How to translate TagEditor TTX Files Apr 27, 2011

Katrin Lueke wrote:

Hello,

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Katrin

This might help you: http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=138-35

Best wishes,
Bérangère

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can translations with Wordfast be put into SDLX-Lite files?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »