Problems installing Wordfast 5.1 trial version
Thread poster: Clément Defontaine
Clément Defontaine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:46
English to French
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

I have tried to install the Wordfast 5.1 trial version on my computer but all I got when I opened the word document .dot were 2000 pages of incomprehensible signs (similar to modern hieroglyphs or a boring version of the font Wingdings in Word, if you prefer...). I have tried every type of installation, i.e. automatic or manual, and followed the instructions carefully but nothing seems to work.
Does anyone know where the problem could come from?

Thank you very much for your help.

Clément.

P.S : replies in French are welcomed.

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do not open the .dot Jan 24, 2006

The manual for Wordfast is called wordfast.doc. This is a normal Word-file. Wordfast.dot is the program containing the code.
After installation (Word not running) you simply start Word, click the green icon and proceed as outlined in the manual. Open normal Word-files and press Alt+HOme.
Read the manual step by step.
Regards
Heinrich

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can I do that?? Jan 24, 2006

Heinrich,

Thank you very much for your suggestion but what I don't understand is how I can install Wordfast without opening Words. What happens is that I downloaded Wordfast from the website and when I click on the icon on my desktop I have the choice between opening two files. First there is a Readme file which explains me that I am supposed to open Ms Words and set the security to low and so on. Then it says that I should close Ms Words and reopen it in order to open wordfast.dot via the Filee/Open menu (as if it were a regurlar document). And it's after I opened it that I get the strange symbols.
If you explain me how I can install Wordfast without opening Word I could try it. Do you know how I can do that?
Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

Clément.

Fred Neild  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Templates Jan 24, 2006

Hi Clément,

I can't remember how I (exactly) installed it, but don't give up, it is a great CAT tool.

Try this. (my MSWord is in Portuguese, I will attempt to translate menus into English)
1) Go to the menu Ferramentas (Tools), choose Modelos e Suplementos (Templates) and click.
2) A window will open and press the button Adicionar (Add). Go to the file where you have saved Wordfast.dot and choose it. I have Office 2003 and it asks about macros, choose Habilitar Macros (enable macros). If this option doesn't show check your security level, it should be medium.
3) I have recently upgraded my Office. I know there is a way so you don't have to do this everytime you open MSWord. I am quite busy and haven't got time right now to browse through the manual. Maybe someone else could help us.

Best
Fred

[Edited at 2006-01-24 10:23]

Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:46
English to German
Don't forget unzipping wordfast.zip first Jan 24, 2006

Clément Defontaine wrote:
What happens is that I downloaded Wordfast from the website and when I click on the icon on my desktop I have the choice between opening two files.
lément.[/quote]
First of all you have to unzip wordfast.zip. Place the two files wordfast.doc and wordfast.dot on your desktop.

To perform an automatic installation, start Ms-Word, open the wordfast.dot template using *Ms-Word’s File/Open dialog box*, just as when opening regular documents, except that under file type you choose templates (*.dot). Enable macros if prompted to do so, and double-click the "Install Wordfast" button.

Automatic installation is the only case when you actually open wordfast.dot as a document. After installation, wordfast.dot has been added as a startup template and resides in Ms-Word's Tools/Templates & Add-Ins dialog box. Wordfast.dot does not need to be opened as a document again. (cited from the manual)

HTH.
Cheers,
Lisa

oxygen4u
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here... Jan 24, 2006

The the exact same problem as you! I tried ti install wordfast last week and also got funny symbols instead of words and the programme doesn't work anyway!!

It may be a download problem but it's quite irritating. I was looking forward to start working on wordfast...

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody! Jan 24, 2006

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for all the advice you gave me because I have finally managed to install Wordfast! Now I have to read the manual to see how it works!

Thanks again,

Clément.

P.S : does my picture appear next to a message I send in a forum? I get the impression it doesn't...

United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try to unzip it first Jan 24, 2006

Hello oxygen!

The thing that worked for me is that I unzipped it before I tried to open it in word. I hadn't done that before and I think it is were the problem came from.
Try it like that it will probably work.

Good luck,

Clément.

oxygen4u
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you Jan 24, 2006

Thank you! It's seems we're on the same boat!
I'll give it a try!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:46
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sorry I did not quite understand your problem this morning Jan 24, 2006

Nice that you managed to install after all.
Regards
Heinrich

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:46
Member (2006)
English to German
free training guides Jan 26, 2006

Clément Defontaine wrote:
Now I have to read the manual to see how it works!

Dear Clement,

in case you find out that you do not get on well with the manual, have you seen this on the Wordfast Homepage?

"Getting started? Need training? Need advanced training? Download our free, illustrated, step-by-step training guides here. These guides can be used by trainers to provide training sessions, or by anyone for self-learning"

I use these guides and they are really good. Easy to understand, screenshots, and you can get them in French!

Best regards,
Katrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems installing Wordfast 5.1 trial version

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs