Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 2, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have two issues. I successfully translated my first job with SDL (the demoversion). It was a Powerpoint file.
After I got to the end of the file I saved it and got a warning, that 1 segment needs "Format painting". I was not sure which segment of the 350 was meant, but corrected some segments which looked different than the source. The next time the warning was 4 segments, which needed format painting. In the end I had 6 such segments.
Anyway I let th
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have two issues. I successfully translated my first job with SDL (the demoversion). It was a Powerpoint file.
After I got to the end of the file I saved it and got a warning, that 1 segment needs "Format painting". I was not sure which segment of the 350 was meant, but corrected some segments which looked different than the source. The next time the warning was 4 segments, which needed format painting. In the end I had 6 such segments.
Anyway I let the editor create the source file and viewed it. Everything looked fine.
So how serious one has to take these warnings?
And a second question: How to copy the source segment into the target, when you see something has gone wrong? I was not able to find a command or shortcut (like Alt+Ins in Wordfast or Trados).

Thanks for advice!

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:03
German to English
Copy source formatting and text... Feb 2, 2006

...place cursor in target segment line and press F4 seems to do it (I'm using SDLX Lite)

I also find the warning ref. "segments need format painting" to be extremely unhelpful; why no segment references are given is beyond me.

Good luck
DB

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:03
English to German
+ ...
Format Painting Feb 2, 2006

Hallo Heinrich,

There's an easy way to identify segments that require format painting: the segment number left of the source text is highlighted in green.

Another way to identify them is to activate the Format Paint mode (click on the brush in the tool bar) and then to click on 'Next Required Format' or 'Previous Required Format' (the buttons with the green rectangles and curved arrows next to the Format Paint symbol). The cursor will then move to the next segment that
... See more
Hallo Heinrich,

There's an easy way to identify segments that require format painting: the segment number left of the source text is highlighted in green.

Another way to identify them is to activate the Format Paint mode (click on the brush in the tool bar) and then to click on 'Next Required Format' or 'Previous Required Format' (the buttons with the green rectangles and curved arrows next to the Format Paint symbol). The cursor will then move to the next segment that requires format painting.

If you want to copy the source text and formatting, just press F4, as Daniel said. If you only want to copy the source formatting, press Ctrl + F4.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 2, 2006

I will try those the next time.
Regards
Heinrich

Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Format Paint Feb 3, 2006

F9 Scrolls to the next segment that requires format painting. It's not a serious issue. Format painting sets which text has to be bold, underlined, etc. you can export anyway.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More troubles Feb 4, 2006

Now I tried that format painting, but could not eliminate all mistakes. Mostly they are in relation to a TM-sign in upper index. When I try to write in SDL-editor behind the TM, all the text after TM gets the same color and appears in upper index in Powerpoint. After applying Format painting the whole entry became garbeled.
I had to do the formatting in Powerpoint.
The means for formatting seem almost non-existing in SDL. Or am I missing something. It would be better if the formattin
... See more
Now I tried that format painting, but could not eliminate all mistakes. Mostly they are in relation to a TM-sign in upper index. When I try to write in SDL-editor behind the TM, all the text after TM gets the same color and appears in upper index in Powerpoint. After applying Format painting the whole entry became garbeled.
I had to do the formatting in Powerpoint.
The means for formatting seem almost non-existing in SDL. Or am I missing something. It would be better if the formatting tags could be moved around freely like in Trados TagEditor. Otherwise I like SDL more.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can display tags Feb 4, 2006

It is true that it takes some time to get familiar with format painting but once you've got the hang of it it's not too difficult any more

Regarding tags, you can display them as in Trados: in SDL Edit, choose View > Tags and one of the display options for tags. However, even in this mode you cannot move the tags around freely, I'm afraid. You will still need to place the text around the tags but it might help all the
... See more
It is true that it takes some time to get familiar with format painting but once you've got the hang of it it's not too difficult any more

Regarding tags, you can display them as in Trados: in SDL Edit, choose View > Tags and one of the display options for tags. However, even in this mode you cannot move the tags around freely, I'm afraid. You will still need to place the text around the tags but it might help all the same.

Regards,
Claudia
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
A few hints Feb 4, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Now I tried that format painting, but could not eliminate all mistakes. Mostly they are in relation to a TM-sign in upper index. When I try to write in SDL-editor behind the TM, all the text after TM gets the same color and appears in upper index in Powerpoint.

What you need to to do is the following:
- get the brush tool (format painting)
- click on the colour in the source text (in segments with different formats applied, you'll see words highlighted in different colours - to see what they each represent, hover over each with your mouse and a tooltip will give you some indication as to the meaning of the formatting)
- drag over the letter, letters or words in the target text, to apply the formatting just to that text.

The format paint tool can also be used to move any red | marker to the right place (this marker could refer to an icon, an index marker, or other kind of element; again by hovering over it with the mouse you should get a handy tooltip). To do this, click on the source marker with the paintbrush, then click in the target, where the marker should be slotted into.

As Claudia says, it takes a little getting used to it, but it's not that bad.

Hope this helps,
Roberta

[Edited at 2006-02-04 13:18]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need some hints on SDL 2005

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »