Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:38
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2006

How can I eliminate the insistent word "no" which adds itself to my text every time I'm speaking? I speak in a silent environment, so I don't know how or why it adds!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:38
English to German
+ ...
may be the environment resonates Feb 4, 2006

it is possible that sound reflects on metal, concrete objects that is not caught by normal humans, unless at high volumes. To avoide this a few professional I have observed use styropor covered walls etc., May be that is the cause. Best Brandis

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
have the microphone rest Feb 4, 2006

I get other words (usually "de") in French, but I have realized that it mostly appears when I leave my microphone open too long without speaking. No matter how quiet you are, DNS adapts to this really low level, and tries to catch something. When I want to pause for a good while, I close the microphone (there are voice commands for that). It only gets very bad if I go away for 5 or 10 minutes while leaving the mic on... Sometimes I have to close DNS (without saving my vocabulary) and relaunch it... See more
I get other words (usually "de") in French, but I have realized that it mostly appears when I leave my microphone open too long without speaking. No matter how quiet you are, DNS adapts to this really low level, and tries to catch something. When I want to pause for a good while, I close the microphone (there are voice commands for that). It only gets very bad if I go away for 5 or 10 minutes while leaving the mic on... Sometimes I have to close DNS (without saving my vocabulary) and relaunch it to have this problem solved.
Another thing: you may discover that sometimes DNS slows down dramatically. I suspect that it happens only when the file is very big. I've lost a lot of time with this.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:38
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I have another problem with DNS Feb 4, 2006

It frequently turns "s" for a plural into "is". In other words, "I have problems" will come out as "I have problem is". I run the Acoustic Optimizer frequently, but it doesn't made much difference.

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
don't worry too much about environmental noises Feb 4, 2006

I have (to my own surprise) used DNS successfully is airport and railroad waiting rooms. The loudspeaker in the airport does not even disturb that much. I simply do not save the vocabulary at the end of such a session...
So I doubt that isolating the walls is really a necessity.

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Danish to English
+ ...
DNS Feb 4, 2006

I have used DNS for many years due to my osteophytes and arthritis in my hands. I have run into many odd occurrences, but these were solved by using the optimizer and training the DNS. Try turning off the mice (hitting the +key) when you stop talking for any reason whatsoever. The mice will pick up any sound and interpret that sound into a word, f.ex. looking up a term in a dictionary, etc.

Of course, then hit the +key again a second or two before you start talking again.... See more
I have used DNS for many years due to my osteophytes and arthritis in my hands. I have run into many odd occurrences, but these were solved by using the optimizer and training the DNS. Try turning off the mice (hitting the +key) when you stop talking for any reason whatsoever. The mice will pick up any sound and interpret that sound into a word, f.ex. looking up a term in a dictionary, etc.

Of course, then hit the +key again a second or two before you start talking again.

[Edited at 2006-02-04 16:16]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:38
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 6, 2006

My friends, thank you very much for sharing your experience with DNS. You have been very helpful. I'll keep your kind advices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS doubt

Translation news related to CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »