Thread poster: Christina Green

Christina Green  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2006

I work on a Mac system running Tiger (OS X) with Quark, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and MS Word.
Does anyone have any recommendation for a CAT tool working on this platform?
Thanks for your help!
Christina Green

Direct link Reply with quote

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A couple Feb 28, 2006

Christina Green wrote:

I work on a Mac system running Tiger (OS X) with Quark, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and MS Word.
Does anyone have any recommendation for a CAT tool working on this platform?
Thanks for your help!
Christina Green

You can use WordFast, which works well with Word for Mac. Otherwise, try Heartsome XLIFF.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
OmegaT. Feb 28, 2006

www.omegat.org

Sabine Cretella
Germany
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hei .... you were toooo fast Marc :-) Feb 28, 2006

Yes, of course I'd also reccomend to give OmegaT a try http://omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html. If you have specific questions, just let us know or subscribe to the OmegaT user group sending an empty e-mail to omegat-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

This and the heartsome CAT solve your problems.

What I personally don't like about Wordfast is that it depends on the good and bad behaviours of Word (a bit like Trados) - the problems often arise because of Word and not because of the tool you are using (and this is valid for all tools) - at least with others you have the chance to work with converted files (sometimes OOo saved my work - but it could also break it ... to 95% it will not ... the problem in the end was always the original Wordfile).

Choosing a CAT is also a matter of "feeling" and being convinced about it being the right solution. So you should try them out and then take your decision.

Best, Sabine

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wordfast and OmegaT Feb 28, 2006

Christina Green wrote:
I work on a Mac system running Tiger (OS X) with Quark, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and MS Word. Does anyone have any recommendation for a CAT tool working on this platform?

Both OmegaT and Wordfast works on Mac, but the question is what you would do with those Quark, Photoshop (??) and Illustrator files. OmT and WF have different ways of dealing with exotic formats. In WF, you need to figure out how to tag it. In OmT (in the RC7 version, which is officially "unstable" but which works just fine), you have to figure out how to segment it. Happy experimenting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for Macintosh

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums