Help needed: best translation software
Thread poster: Mercedes Alonso
Mercedes Alonso
Mercedes Alonso
Local time: 17:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 7, 2006

I'm starting to work as a translator and I'm hearing all sort of things about the different softwares that can be used. However, I'm completely lost as to which would be the best for me (in case I decide to get any at all).
I would really appreciate it if you could tell me waht you know, not the technical stuff, the simple stuff, starting from how they help.
Please note I'm kind of lame when it comes to computers, so simplicity is a plus.
Thank you all sooooo much.
by th
... See more
I'm starting to work as a translator and I'm hearing all sort of things about the different softwares that can be used. However, I'm completely lost as to which would be the best for me (in case I decide to get any at all).
I would really appreciate it if you could tell me waht you know, not the technical stuff, the simple stuff, starting from how they help.
Please note I'm kind of lame when it comes to computers, so simplicity is a plus.
Thank you all sooooo much.
by the way, i'm sorry if this topis has come up before, I just couldn't find it.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:50
German to English
+ ...
Help needed: best translation software Mar 7, 2006

Read this article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory

If you want a free translation memory tool to try out (and, if you like it, to use for actual jobs), we are still giving OmegaT away at www.omegat.org.

Marc

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:50
CAT Mar 7, 2006

I assume you mean CAT tools, right?

There are a wide variety - the best known would be Trados, Wordfast, SDLX, Transit, DejaVu...

Try a free evaluation version of one of these programmes to familiarise yourself with it.
I'm not going to say to you "You should buy X" because I don't know if you will get the hang of it, or be able to afford it, or whatever. This kind of topic is pretty subjective, IMO.
For example, I could never get my head around Transit in
... See more
I assume you mean CAT tools, right?

There are a wide variety - the best known would be Trados, Wordfast, SDLX, Transit, DejaVu...

Try a free evaluation version of one of these programmes to familiarise yourself with it.
I'm not going to say to you "You should buy X" because I don't know if you will get the hang of it, or be able to afford it, or whatever. This kind of topic is pretty subjective, IMO.
For example, I could never get my head around Transit in a million years, but I enjoy using Trados and SDLX.

You don't HAVE to have any particular one of these really when you're starting off, but when you start to get big or recurring projects, then that is when they start to pay off.
Collapse

Gad Harel
Gad Harel
Israel
Local time: 23:50
English to German
+ ...
Thank you for this hint !!! Heissen Dunk !!! Mar 7, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

Read this article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory

If you want a free translation memory tool to try out (and, if you like it, to use for actual jobs), we are still giving OmegaT away at www.omegat.org.

Marc

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:50
French to English
Depends on your type of work Mar 7, 2006

Mercedes Alonso wrote:

I'm starting to work as a translator and I'm hearing all sort of things about the different softwares that can be used.

Each tool has its strengths and weaknesses. The only real way to determine which tool is best for the type of work you handle, what you feel comfortable with, etc. is to try the demo versions. You should give yourself plenty of time to try them out because it can take quite some time to really appreciate what they can do for you.

People will tell you about their preferences, but remember that their opinions depend on the type of work they handle (for example, xxx handles xxx files much better, xxx cannot handle xxx and you work with xxx files types on a daily basis).

Also, certain tools are better for certain types of languages.

You should consider whether you will be creating glossaries from scratch while you work or whether clients will send terminology files (and whether you can use them with your tool or whether you need to import them, and then how complicated the import process can be).

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

Mercedes Alonso
Mercedes Alonso
Local time: 17:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Mar 7, 2006

thenks about Wikipedia, thanks about using demos ( I sould really have thought of that) and thanks on everything else.
I know I don't really need this, but I thought it would be good to get to know this way of working at least...I was feelinng ore computer illiterate than i already am!
So, there, thanks a lot for everything!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed: best translation software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »