Mobile menu

The power of unlocking the context
Thread poster: Vale17
Local time: 16:37
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2006

Good morning everybody,

I am an Italian translator/localizer who moved to Canada almost 4 years ago. I have been asked to draw a comparison between two different kinds of CAT tools: the Translation Memory software versus a corpus-based translation software.

Using both kinds of applications, I can see the pros and cons of each one. Personally, what I mainly don’t like about a translation memory tool is that it’s based on a database of isolated whole sentences, contrary to other softwares that allow you to create huge collections of legacy full-text translations searchable for text strings of any length in their full usage context. Both technologies are effective, they simply differ on how far they can go.

Right now, I am looking for case studies about the implementation of these two opposite technologies, as well as some concrete examples that would justify one choice over the other.

Do you know any Web site where I can find any articles, business cases on the usage of a specific CAT tool and its benefits? Vice versa, I need examples of enormous, clamorous translation or terminology mistakes caused by the loss of translation software, or more specifically, the loss of context. Have you ever made or noticed huge translation mistakes due to a lack of context?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The power of unlocking the context

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs