Mobile menu

PROBLEMS WITH WORDFAST INSTALLATION
Thread poster: Elisa Albanese
Elisa Albanese
Local time: 23:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 23, 2006

Hello! I really hope there is somebody out there who can help me...

I downloaded Wordfast 5 and I did all the steps to install it automatically. MS Word opens and the wordfast icon is already in the tool bar.

I have a document in front of me, stating "double click here to install wordfast". After having enabled all the macros, I double click;
at this point another document opens saying that the installation was succesful, but the wordfast icon has disappeared!

So I tried to check the tool bars in the view menu, but wordfast simply seems not to exist...

I also tried the manual installation copying the wordfast file in the MS word startup but when I opened the startup to paste it, I saw that the icon of wordfast was already there!

In the end, it seems that it IS installed, but I can't really find it when I open word!

please help me... I hope I explained myself clearly, actually I am very bad at using computers...

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you tried strumenti - modelli e aggiunti? Mar 24, 2006

(assuming you're using MSW in Italian!) If you click on it, you should see a little box beside "wordfast.dot" - you need to click on that.

If it's already ticked, then I'm afraid I can't help you any further...

[Edited at 2006-03-24 12:17]

Elisa Albanese
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
already done... Mar 24, 2006

Unfortunately, I have already tried... when I add it, the computer notifies that wordfast.dot is not a suitable add-in...

thank you anyway!

Cheers

Roman Bulkiewicz  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:34
Member (2004)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
switch off your antivirus Mar 24, 2006

and see if it helps.
If it does, permanently disable VBA macros control in the antivirus, or tune it so that it doesn't interfere with Wordfast (if you know how - I don't).

I just spent a day struggling with WF installation on the new system, before I found the root of evil.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Always put wordfast.dot into the Start-folder of Word Mar 24, 2006

People have always problems when following the instructions for automatical installation. Look where your Normal.dot file is and put wordfast.dot into the same folder, then check the box for add-ons. Be sure Word is closed befor you copy the dot-file.

Elisa Albanese
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKS!!!! THANK YOU!!!! Mar 24, 2006

Thank you Roman for helping, but it wasn't a problem with the antivirus protection.

Indeed, it was a problem concerning the compatibility of the .dot model
So I followed your advice, Heinrich, and it finally worked!

Thank you very much to both of you!

Elisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PROBLEMS WITH WORDFAST INSTALLATION

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs