https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/44368-translation_software.html

Translation software
Thread poster: Miranda R
Miranda R
Miranda R
France
Local time: 17:12
French to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 28, 2006

Do you know if there's a website were I can download for free TRADOS, Deja Vu, Wordfast, OmegaT or any other CAT tool? Or do you know were I can buy them at low price. Thanks for your help.

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:12
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Are you a hacker? Mar 29, 2006

Your question is rather interesting.

Did you check the proces of the CAT software you mentioned?

OmegaT is Free (http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html).

Wordfast costs from 90 to 180 EUR, depending on the country you live in. The TM(translation memory) is limited up to 500 TU (translation units) in non-
... See more
Your question is rather interesting.

Did you check the proces of the CAT software you mentioned?

OmegaT is Free (http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html).

Wordfast costs from 90 to 180 EUR, depending on the country you live in. The TM(translation memory) is limited up to 500 TU (translation units) in non-registered version. (www.wordfast.net).

SDL Trados 2006 Freelancer starts from 806 USD and, depending on the package you want to buy, the price rises. The TM(translation memory) is limited up to 500 TU (translation units) in non-registered version. (http://www.trados.com).

I am not aware of DejaVu.

Why are you looking to take them for free of at low price?

It seems like you just want to collect them...

If you were a CAT vendor, would you be happy, if you see a message like yours?

[Edited at 2006-03-29 07:12]
Collapse

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
English to German
MetaTexis Mar 29, 2006

Hello lunetoile,

another CAT tool where you get very good value for money is MetaTexis.

The trial version runs for two months without any restrictions and can be downloaded at this site: www.metatexis.com

Best regards
Hermann

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:12
Keep it cool Mar 29, 2006

misho wrote:

Are you a hacker?

Why are you looking to take them for free of at low price?

It seems like you just want to collect them...

If you were a CAT vendor, would you be happy, if you see a message like yours? [/quote]

Hi Misho,

It's obvious lunetoile is not a hacker. If (s)he were, (s)he would not have asked such a question. To me, it's evident (s)he is looking for a free or cheap CAT, and (s)he asked a very candid question. The information on different CATs you provide is quite useful, but implying someone is a hacker is not nice.

I know that Wordfast has a free trial version, and that the full version costs around $300 US.Info on Wordfast can be found at www.wordfast.net.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2006-03-29 17:06]

Jo-Hanna Goettsche
Jo-Hanna Goettsche  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:12
English to Spanish
In regards to Deja Vu X... Mar 29, 2006

... you can download a demo version of the Professional version at www.atril.com. It lasts for 30 days. Afterwards, you need to purchase it. The Professional version is expensive; I use the Standard version, which has fewer bells and whistles and I am very happy with it.

Miranda R
Miranda R
France
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys for your help! Mar 29, 2006

Thank you everybody for your help. Actually I wanted to try one of those CAT tools first before buying them. If that makes me a HACKER wow I did'nt know it!!!
Anyway, I'll check the sites and start my freelance translation work! bises ;o)

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
That was quick... Apr 3, 2006

I saw your profile today, and you already have Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation software

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »