Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is there something like "the best CAT program?
Thread poster: Dr. Francisco Guerrero
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:58
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Powerful versus complete Apr 20, 2006

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
OmegaT has the most powerful segmentation rules of any CAT tool that I have ever tried (although with power comes complexity).

Not as complete as Heartsome's segmentation rules, which fully support SRX standard.

Good point. Powerful does not mean "complete", but then again, what does "complete" mean? If complete simply means that it conforms to some or other standard, then it would be good for a user to determine beforehand if that standard is indeed a requirement for him.

All this conversation just shows what we all know already, namely before one can judge a "best CAT tool", one has to decide what features are considered essential.

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
Best CAT for freelancers working for agencies Apr 23, 2006

Just to narrow it down a little.

Although the OP is migrating to Mac, I will assume that the typical freelancer is using a PC, unless working mostly for clients using Mac, e.g. in the advertising business.

I'll also narrow it down to what I think are the five leading CATs, i.e. Trados, DejaVu X, SDLX, Wordfast, and Transit.

1. Client's preferred CAT

One important criterion for a freelancer would be to use a CAT that is compatible with the tool
... See more

Although the OP is migrating to Mac, I will assume that the typical freelancer is using a PC, unless working mostly for clients using Mac, e.g. in the advertising business.

I'll also narrow it down to what I think are the five leading CATs, i.e. Trados, DejaVu X, SDLX, Wordfast, and Transit.

1. Client's preferred CAT

One important criterion for a freelancer would be to use a CAT that is compatible with the tool that his/her agency clients use.

In my field, technical translations (mostly automotive), a majority of agency clients use Trados and expect me to use Trados.

This makes Trados the first choice.

The second choice is another CAT that can handle files in Trados format. This applies to DejaVu X, SDLX, Wordfast (not sure about ttx, though) and, I think, Transit (although Trados not officially supported).

Comment: I use DejaVu X for all jobs although more than 90 % of them come in Trados format.

For clients using Transit, SDLX or DejaVu, best thing for the freelancer is to use the same tool as the client although there are workarounds for some combinations.

Comment: I have been contacted by a limited number of clients insisting that I use Transit or SDLX, but so far none requiring Wordfast.

2. File handling

2.1 File formats

All of the five handle several file formats. DejaVu X Professional possibly comes with the most complete set of filters. In the case of Transit, some filters have to be purchased extra.
Wordfast may be a bit hampered by the fact that it uses Word as editor. In the case of Trados, some file formats are handled in TagEditor.

2.2 Multi file handling

If you are only working with projects consisting of one big file, no difference.

If you need to process projects consisting of many files (e.g. an HTML project), Wordfast and Trados are not very suitable.
In such a case e.g. DejaVu (all file formats) and SDLX (some file formats) offer the advantage of processing all files as if they were only one big file.

Summing up

When only considering the criteria stated above, DejaVu X is my choice as best CAT.

Of course, being a DejaVu user for more than 8 years, I'm a bit biassed.

My 5 Euro (preferably per word)

Klas
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Apr 24, 2006

Klas Törnquist wrote:

Thanks for your useful description of some of the CAT tools for MS Windows. One or two comments, though:

In such a case e.g. DejaVu (all file formats) and SDLX (some file formats) offer the advantage of processing all files as if they were only one big file.

Wordfast has the option to extract all segments from all documents into a single file, which can then be translated as a single file. Does Trados not have such a function too?

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
Managing segmentation Apr 24, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:
Powerful does not mean "complete", but then again, what does "complete" mean?

Hi Samuel,

Segmentation rules can be powerful, but they can't support every situation. Sometimes segmentation rules, even the most powerful, break segments in wrong places.

To correct segmentation errors it may be necessary to split and merge segments. Heartsome's tools let the translator join segments and divide them at translation time. This is a very important difference regarding segmentation management, which is essential for "completeness".

Best regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2006-04-24 15:19]

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
compare TM programs and write up reports of it Jul 5, 2006

Rodolfo Raya wrote:
There are huge differences between OmegaT and Heartsome Translation Suite. The right thing to do is download both programs and compare them.

And go beyond just comparing them. Also write up a document that summarizes the comparison, and put it up on the web, and submit the link to the Language Technology Evaluation web site which already lists many software evaluations for commercial TM and MT software:
http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval

Jeff

Dr. Francisco Guerrero
Dr. Francisco Guerrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks; I'm learning Jul 7, 2006

Thank you gentlemen for sharing your knowledge. Actually, I just bouth a Trados program, and I'm kind of learning the ins ans outs.

Thank you, again.

Francisco

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there something like "the best CAT program?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »