Mobile menu

What terms to enter in terminology database?
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Local time: 14:27
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
May 18, 2006

I have worked with Wordfast, Deja Vu X, and now SDLX. The great common denominator I have noticed is the terminology database. They operate more or less the same from what I can see.

What I have noticed, is that I tend to put too many terms in the tdb, and consequently have a lot of clutter in the tdb pane. Sometimes I have up to 30 entries for a single cell.

Should a CAT tool user include words like "and", "or", "if" and but, or all forms of a verb?

Should one enter "computer system" as one entry, or be content with "computer" and "center" as two different entries.

Can anyone share their experience? Thanks.

Reed D. James

Direct link Reply with quote

Timothy Barton
Local time: 19:27
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
I know what you mean.... May 18, 2006

It's very tempting to add an and when I get segments that say things like "Mathematics and Statistics" and the only word that doesn't get translated is the "and", as I know that if I had added it I wouldn't have to do anything for that segment. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples opinions. I don't think we should add too much; if we really want to have things like that translates we could combine our databases with automated translation (with all the dangers this brings). Another option maybe to have a separate database with things like "and" and to only use this database when you feel it would be useful for the text you are translating.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What terms to enter in terminology database?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs