What is the link for downloading DTP software?
Thread poster: Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 06:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 20, 2006

A very nice warm welcome to you all

What is the link for downloading DTP software? There is a company offered a job and I did not apply because I have no idea about DTP at all.

I feel shameful because of that actually. Please reply and thanks

Yours
Mr. Imad

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 05:19
French to Dutch
+ ...
Link May 20, 2006

The most used DTP software is QuarkXPress. It costs about 1000 €, and 1200 € in the Passport version (which includes spellcheckers in different langages).
http://eurostore.quark.ch/QuarkStore/Products/ProductDetail.asp?Caller=ViewProductDetail&pid={115F56EF-5B86-4EA6-8B2D-8DEAB222E438}&sid={F0021EC7-AAE8-4E85-9850-7D52D066DA47}
... See more
The most used DTP software is QuarkXPress. It costs about 1000 €, and 1200 € in the Passport version (which includes spellcheckers in different langages).
http://eurostore.quark.ch/QuarkStore/Products/ProductDetail.asp?Caller=ViewProductDetail&pid={115F56EF-5B86-4EA6-8B2D-8DEAB222E438}&sid={F0021EC7-AAE8-4E85-9850-7D52D066DA47}
I don't think there are free downloads available.
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
DeskTop Publishing May 20, 2006

DTP software means Pagemaker, Photoshop, Corel Draw, Gimp, Publisher, etc.

Most of these require learning courses, although you can teach yourself them with the aid of e-books, manuals and tutorials. Also, you can download demo or limited versions of these from their websites.

Now, normally a translator is not a designer, so our use of DTP software is mainly limited to produce a layout duplicate of the original file.

[Editado a las 2006-05-20 19:36]

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Swedish
+ ...
You may already have one. May 21, 2006

Dear Imad,

If you have the full version of Microsoft Office installed in your computer the chance is that you have Office Publisher. It is not as comprehensive as those mentioned by Edwal, but it's a good start.

Though, you might have to get some of the more common fonts that are normally not included in your operating system and Office (Helvetica for example).

Good luck!

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:19
German to English
+ ...
Scribus May 21, 2006

Scribus, an Open Source DTP program originally written for Linux, now also has a Windows version:

www.scribus.net

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
What is the link for downloading DTP software? May 21, 2006

www.scribus.net

- Marc

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Scribus is not too bad, actually May 21, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:
www.scribus.net[/quote]

Of the opensource DTP programs I have seen, Scribus is not bad, actually. It suffers the bane of all DTP programs, however, namely that it has very limited support for importing/exporting other DTP formats.

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your comments May 24, 2006

Dear Nicolette Richy, Edwal Rospigliosi, Lars Jelking, Robert Tucker, MarcPrior and Samuel Murray of South Africa a very warm welcome to you all.

Thank you very much for your help on this matter and I am looking forward to meet you personally one day.

You have been really helpful.

Yours
Imad
Englis Arabic translator, writer and a lecturer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the link for downloading DTP software?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »