Holly Hart  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2002

Hi,

I am translating a document written in German from a client in Germany. I am supposed to \'overwrite\' the document with my English translation. However, I can\'t seem to get the first quote mark to appear at the top of the line, instead of at the bottom of the line. Can anybody help me out? Thanks very much! Holly

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:03
Catalan to English
+ ...
Quotation marks Aug 28, 2002

Hi,

If you are working in Word, what I\'d advise (well, it\'s what I do), is to select all the text (Edit - Select All) and then go to Tools and select Choose Language. Choose US or UK or Australian English (or whatever) and then go back to the text. You should now be able to change the quotation marks. Sorry if I haven\'t got the names of the menu items right, mine are in Spanish, so I\'m just translating.

Hope this helps a wee bit,

<
... See more
Hi,

If you are working in Word, what I\'d advise (well, it\'s what I do), is to select all the text (Edit - Select All) and then go to Tools and select Choose Language. Choose US or UK or Australian English (or whatever) and then go back to the text. You should now be able to change the quotation marks. Sorry if I haven\'t got the names of the menu items right, mine are in Spanish, so I\'m just translating.

Sheila
Collapse

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Quotation marks Aug 28, 2002

Hi,

<
... See more
Hi,

Sheila
Collapse

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Set language to English in Microsoft Word Aug 28, 2002

In Word: Select the whole text to be overwritten, then choose

Tools -> Language -> Set Language -> English

and when you overtype the quotes, they will automatically come to the top as in English. (And the English spellcheck will be active too).

All the best, Deborah

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-28 18:52 ]

Deborah Shannon
Deborah Shannon  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Set language to English in Microsoft Word Aug 28, 2002

In Word: Select the whole text to be overwritten, then choose

Tools -> Language -> Set Language -> English

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-28 18:51 ]

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Fine, but... Aug 28, 2002

if you do what Deborah suggests, you will not be able to have the spelling checked as you go along - you\'ll be told Word found too many misspelled words to continue (assuming your text is more than 10 pages or so). This will not work wither if you have Word2000 with automatic language selection enabled. Try writing a macro that will: delete (old original) text to end of paragraph, move the cursor to the next paragraph, mark that paragraph, select the language for that paragraph as you target la... See more
if you do what Deborah suggests, you will not be able to have the spelling checked as you go along - you\'ll be told Word found too many misspelled words to continue (assuming your text is more than 10 pages or so). This will not work wither if you have Word2000 with automatic language selection enabled. Try writing a macro that will: delete (old original) text to end of paragraph, move the cursor to the next paragraph, mark that paragraph, select the language for that paragraph as you target language and leave the cursor at the start of that next para. May seem like a tall order if you haven\'t written a macro in all your life but you will really be proud of yourself when you succeed and see it work.

Another tip that may come in handy when you have to replace all the decimal commas with decimal points in huge tables but can\'t use the simple Ctrl-H routine because that would leave you with both decimal points and points as separators placed every three digits (or the other way round when converting from English to rest-of-Europe languages: write a macro that will first change all the commas to, say, #, then all the points to commas and finally all the hashes to points - I have not managed to automate it completely, you have to hit Enter three times as the macro is executed, but with that I can live. HTH
Collapse

Marion Bonner
Marion Bonner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Easy solution Aug 29, 2002

In Word go to \"Tools\" - \"AutoCorrect\" - \"Auto format as you type\" - \"Replace as you type\" and make sure the box \"Straight quotes with smart quotes\" is NOT checked! ) That\'s all.

HTH,

Marion

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Then just mark the quotation marks and change language there... Aug 29, 2002

And for decimal points and commas (in a table) I do the following:

Mark the table with the decimal points. Do a search and replace for commas and turn them into exclamation marks (doesn\'t really matter what you choose here, just not a point). Then do search and replace for points and turn them into commas. Then do search and replace for exclamation marks and turn them into points.

HTH

Alison

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
really? Aug 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-29 04:49, mbonner wrote:

In Word go to \"Tools\" - \"AutoCorrect\" - \"Auto format as you type\" - \"Replace as you type\" and make sure the box \"Straight quotes with smart quotes\" is NOT checked! ) That\'s all.

HTH,

Marion

No, IMO that won\'t produce \"English\" quotation marks, just the simplif... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-29 04:49, mbonner wrote:

HTH,

Marion

No, IMO that won\'t produce \"English\" quotation marks, just the simplified marks: English means the kind of marks which, enlarged, would look like the number 66 at the beginning of quote and 99 at the end, both in superscript. ▲ Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Having a little trouble Nov 4, 2010

with this feature.

Like the original poster I have been using Word and typing in my English text "over" the German text. When I detect the quotation marks then I can alter them but sometimes I do occasionally miss a few. The spellchecker does not detect the German style quotation marks at all. I can't seem to use the search/replace feature as I can't type the German quotation marks in the search box.

Where am I going wrong?

Extra Consult
Extra Consult
Belgium
Member (2008)
English
curly quotes Nov 4, 2010

pidzej wrote:
No, IMO that won\'t produce \"English\" quotation marks, just the simplified marks: English means the kind of marks which, enlarged, would look like the number 66 at the beginning of quote and 99 at the end, both in superscript.

Actually, it will change straight quotes to curly quotes (aka smart quotes) and vice versa, as per Microsoft Support: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/change-curly-quotes-to-straight-quotes-and-vice-versa-HA010173242.aspx

M00nshine wrote:
I can't seem to use the search/replace feature as I can't type the German quotation marks in the search box.

You can find and replace all instances of single or double curly quotes with straight quotes in your document. To do this, clear the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab. On the Edit menu, click Replace. In both the Find what and Replace with boxes, type ' or ", and then click Find Next or Replace All.
To replace all straight quotes with curly quotes, select the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box, and repeat the find and replace procedure.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
No CAT? Nov 4, 2010

If I understand correctly, you're just overwriting, without using a CAT tool, where the wrong quotes could be stored in the TM. If so, why don't you just ignore the quotes and leave them as they are until you finish the translation, and then do a search and replace? The opening and closing quotes are different, so only the former will get replaced. (It seems that the closing quotes are the same in both languages, unless you prefer single quotes.) To enter the correct quotes in the find and repla... See more
If I understand correctly, you're just overwriting, without using a CAT tool, where the wrong quotes could be stored in the TM. If so, why don't you just ignore the quotes and leave them as they are until you finish the translation, and then do a search and replace? The opening and closing quotes are different, so only the former will get replaced. (It seems that the closing quotes are the same in both languages, unless you prefer single quotes.) To enter the correct quotes in the find and replace fields, you can copy and paste them or enter ALT 0127 for the double upper opening quote.Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
It's the German quotation marks Nov 4, 2010

I wish to replace. I hadn't thought of copy and pasting them. Is there also a code for entering the lower opening quotation mark.

Or even better where can I find a list of such shortcut codes?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to turn German quotation marks into English quotation marks

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »