https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/49045-conflict_incompatibility_wordfast_%2B_trados.html

Conflict/incompatibility Wordfast + Trados
Thread poster: Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers
Rebecca Jowers  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 8, 2006

Are there any conflicts or incompatibility issues with regard to having both Wordfast and Trados installed on the same computer? Could there be intereference between the two, or could having both installed destabilize the computer?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments!

Rebecca

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I have both instaled... Jun 8, 2006

... and have no problems.

However you should be aware of some technical background.

Trados and Wordfast both place their own template files with macros in Word's Startup folder (please refere WF manual for location of startup folder on your system). Trados uses Trados7.dot (and MutiTerm.dot, optional), while Wordfast uses wordfast.dot (and PlusTools.dot, optional).

Wordfast is smart enough to disable all other add-ins, so generaly there should be no conflic
... See more
... and have no problems.

However you should be aware of some technical background.

Trados and Wordfast both place their own template files with macros in Word's Startup folder (please refere WF manual for location of startup folder on your system). Trados uses Trados7.dot (and MutiTerm.dot, optional), while Wordfast uses wordfast.dot (and PlusTools.dot, optional).

Wordfast is smart enough to disable all other add-ins, so generaly there should be no conflict between both. To be on the safe side (as I am) you may use two different startup folders, one for Trados, another for WF. Just create another subfolder in Word's startup folder and move Trados or Wordfast related files in that folder.

You may always choose your startup folder from Word's menu Tool/Options/File Locations and there change folder Startup. Re-run Word, and Word will use new startup folder and template from this, new folder.

This may sound comblicated, but is not.

Newertheless, I do 95% of may translations in Wordfast. I use only TagEditor in some rare cases and never use Trados for translating .doc (.rtf) files.

HTH
Tadej

[Edited at 2006-06-08 07:16]
Collapse

Rebecca Jowers
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much! Jun 8, 2006

Tadej, thanks for your advice!

I want to get all of the ins and outs of Wordfast + Trados clear before going ahead with installing the two on my main computer.

Rebecca

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
This sounds interesting! Jun 8, 2006

Tadej Kokalj wrote:

Wordfast is smart enough to disable all other add-ins, so generaly there should be no conflict between both. To be on the safe side (as I am) you may use two different startup folders, one for Trados, another for WF. Just create another subfolder in Word's startup folder and move Trados or Wordfast related files in that folder.

I don't use Trados, but I am rather unnerved that Wf every time disables all the other add-ins I use, and each time I have to re-enable them.
Does this work for this problem, too? I.e. putting Wf in one start-up folder and the other add-ins in the other one?

Please excuse my OT in this discussion.

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
KeepTemplate Jun 8, 2006

You can always use PB command KeepTemplate.
See WF manual for details.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MS Word toolbars may clash Jun 8, 2006

Rebecca Jowers wrote:
Are there any conflicts or incompatibility issues with regard to having both Wordfast and Trados installed on the same computer?

If your Wordfast toolbar is collapsed, you may find that Trados hijacks the shortcuts used by Wordfast (this is a bug, not a feature). But if WF is expanded, it will hijack the Trados shortcuts (this is a feature, not a bug... see the manual for "KeepTemplate" in Pandora's Box).

Rebecca Jowers
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 8, 2006

Thanks for that interesting comment!

It appears I've got much studying of both manuals to do before wading into my dual-program configuration.

Rebecca

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I tried it... Jun 14, 2006

Tadej Kokalj wrote:

You can always use PB command KeepTemplate.
See WF manual for details.

... but my add-ins continue to be disabled just like before...:-(

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There's an option in WordFast ... Jun 20, 2006

to ignore starting and ending tags in the segment being translated. Of course Trados will not like this kind of bilingual file, so you just need to keep your hands off that check box.

maybe there's more but I would not know about it.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conflict/incompatibility Wordfast + Trados

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »