How do you create a pre-segmented unclean Trados file that recognizes drop-down fields?
Thread poster: Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 16:24
German to English
Jun 20, 2006

Hi,

A colleague of mine has a Word doc that needs to be translated, but his Deja Vu application does not recognize the drop-down form fields contained within. He asked me if I could supply him with a pre-segmented unclean Trados file of the Word doc in question that would also recognize the drop-down fields in hopes that Deja Vu will be able to recognize everything. I've never pre-segmented a file in Trados before and have not been successful in finding the answer in the Trados he
... See more
Hi,

A colleague of mine has a Word doc that needs to be translated, but his Deja Vu application does not recognize the drop-down form fields contained within. He asked me if I could supply him with a pre-segmented unclean Trados file of the Word doc in question that would also recognize the drop-down fields in hopes that Deja Vu will be able to recognize everything. I've never pre-segmented a file in Trados before and have not been successful in finding the answer in the Trados help files. I use Trados 6.5. Would anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

~Conroy
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:24
English to German
+ ...
Tools / Translate Jun 20, 2006

I pre-segment files this way:

Create an empty TM, go to Tools / Translate,
check the box "Segment unknown sentences",
add the files, and click Translate.

But I don't know whether (and in which Trados Version) it would work for Word drop-down fields.

Another idea would be to save the file as HTML.
If you can "export" and re-import it this way without loosing too much, Deja Vu could work directly on it, even without pre-segmentation.
... See more
I pre-segment files this way:

Create an empty TM, go to Tools / Translate,
check the box "Segment unknown sentences",
add the files, and click Translate.

But I don't know whether (and in which Trados Version) it would work for Word drop-down fields.

Another idea would be to save the file as HTML.
If you can "export" and re-import it this way without loosing too much, Deja Vu could work directly on it, even without pre-segmentation.

The Trados Tagger could also be a solution, but I never used it.

HTH,

Harry

[Edited at 2006-06-20 08:26]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 21:24
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try to convert from DOC file Jun 20, 2006

to a different file format - like RTF, XML ... Hopefully the Microsoft Very own file converter will be able to uncover the segments, that are hidden to TRADOS.

regards

Vito

PS: I did write this in the morning already and it has been received - and now it's gone .... Curiouser & Curiouser...

Maurizio Valente
Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Funny enough... Jun 20, 2006

I just happened to deliver a translation as a MS Word file, containing quite a number of drop-down lists. (OS: Windows 2k or WinXp.) It was a survey and participants were supposed to choose one of these items from the list.

What I found is:
a) DejaVu doesn't "see" these items.
b) After opening the file in Word, there's no way to edit these items. Double-clicking on the field opens a window where you can delete or add items, but not edit the existing ones.
c) I save
... See more
I just happened to deliver a translation as a MS Word file, containing quite a number of drop-down lists. (OS: Windows 2k or WinXp.) It was a survey and participants were supposed to choose one of these items from the list.

What I found is:
a) DejaVu doesn't "see" these items.
b) After opening the file in Word, there's no way to edit these items. Double-clicking on the field opens a window where you can delete or add items, but not edit the existing ones.
c) I saved the *.doc file in different formats (rtf, txt, htm) and found that the resulting files did NOT contain any of the above items. (I didn't try xml because I found no such "Save as" filter in Word.)
d) I examined the MS Word file with a hex viewer, and found no trace of the dropdown items. They must be somewhere in the file, but perhaps are coded.

Consequently, I translated my doc in DV and, after exporting, added the translations for the items - one by one - and then deleted the existing ones.

Conroy Fritz wrote:

Hi,

A colleague of mine has a Word doc that needs to be translated, but his Deja Vu application does not recognize the drop-down form fields contained within. He asked me if I could supply him with a pre-segmented unclean Trados file of the Word doc in question that would also recognize the drop-down fields in hopes that Deja Vu will be able to recognize everything. I've never pre-segmented a file in Trados before and have not been successful in finding the answer in the Trados help files. I use Trados 6.5. Would anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

~Conroy

[Edited at 2006-06-20 11:01]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:24
English to German
+ ...
Locked form? Jun 20, 2006

I assume that the creator of the Word file locked the form files (dropdown lists, checkboxes, etc.) and that this may be the reason why DV "can't see them". In case you haven't tried it, unlock the form. This gives you full rights to edit such fields and the options that can be chosen.

Sonja

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you create a pre-segmented unclean Trados file that recognizes drop-down fields?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »