Thread poster: Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse
Jenni Jelse  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:12
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 14, 2002

I just installed Trados 5.5 on my computer and now Word won\'t work! I use Word 2000 and Windows 98. I\'ve had problems with Word before, but it\'s always worked after reinstalling it - not this time though. Does anybody know what the problem might be? I have never used Trados before. Thanks...

Carla Trapani
Carla Trapani
English to Italian
+ ...
Patch for Word.. maybe Sep 14, 2002

I\'m using Word 2002 and I know that there is a patch for word 2002 users at Trados\' support site.

Maybe there\'s something also for Word 2000 users...

Good luck,

Carla

Liliana Benitez-Strange (X)
Liliana Benitez-Strange (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the Trados knowledge base Sep 14, 2002

Hey Jenni,

I feel your pain...however, trados has an outstanding repository with information and patches on how to fix anything. Go to the Trados website (www.trados.com) then go to the Services option at top and then from the drop down menu select User Help and Support, then of course, trados knowledge base. When the window opens type in your problem (i.e. trados and word problem) and you will get a b
... See more
Hey Jenni,

I feel your pain...however, trados has an outstanding repository with information and patches on how to fix anything. Go to the Trados website (www.trados.com) then go to the Services option at top and then from the drop down menu select User Help and Support, then of course, trados knowledge base. When the window opens type in your problem (i.e. trados and word problem) and you will get a bunch of info on how to fix it or which patch to download from their download centre to correct your problem. Let me know how you made out!

Lily
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
No idea, but... Sep 14, 2002

Did you contact Trados\'s client service? You should be able to access from workbench by selecting Help > Trados on the Web > Trados Support Center. I am really sorry I cannot help you more. But please, let us know the outcome of this.

In fact I have have kept the installation files of the 5.5 upgrade unused on my HD for more than 3 months, because v. 5.0 works so well on my Win 98, and I am afraid to spoil it!

Good luck,

Luca

... See more
Did you contact Trados\'s client service? You should be able to access from workbench by selecting Help > Trados on the Web > Trados Support Center. I am really sorry I cannot help you more. But please, let us know the outcome of this.

In fact I have have kept the installation files of the 5.5 upgrade unused on my HD for more than 3 months, because v. 5.0 works so well on my Win 98, and I am afraid to spoil it!

Good luck,

Luca

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-15 04:17 ]
Collapse

Marco Vrieling (X)
Marco Vrieling (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Error messages? Sep 14, 2002

Do you get any error messages? Are other programs still working? Did the setup of T5.5 go without trouble? I will need more information to be able to help you out.....

Compassionately yours

Marco

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Normal.dot may be corrupt Sep 15, 2002

Please search your computer for the \"normal.dot\" file and rename it to \"normal.do_\" (Word must not be started at this time). After that start Word. Word creates a new clean \"Normal.dot\" file. In case you have had autotextes and other informations saved in your old \"Normal.dot\", so take a look on the help file, how you can organise your styles and auto-textes (I´m sorry, but I olny can tell how it is done in a german version of Word), and you surely will be able to copy them to a new \"N... See more
Please search your computer for the \"normal.dot\" file and rename it to \"normal.do_\" (Word must not be started at this time). After that start Word. Word creates a new clean \"Normal.dot\" file. In case you have had autotextes and other informations saved in your old \"Normal.dot\", so take a look on the help file, how you can organise your styles and auto-textes (I´m sorry, but I olny can tell how it is done in a german version of Word), and you surely will be able to copy them to a new \"Normal.dot\".

This should help.

Usually it is not Word making troubles, but only the corrupt Normal.dot.

I have never heard of such troubles with Word and TRADOS. I was using both Word and TRADOS on a Win98 machine, but now I´m working with Trados 5.5 and Word XP on a Windows 2000 professional machine - this is a much better solution.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Thanks, Jerzy! Sep 15, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-09-15 11:21, JCzopik wrote:

Please search your computer for the \"normal.dot\" file and rename it to \"normal.do_\" (Word must not be started at this time). After that start Word. Word creates a new clean \"Normal.dot\" file.

Thanks, Jerzy! This way I got rid of an error message \"Laufzeitfehler 5\" I kept on reading when opening Word 2002 (I had Trados 5.5 installed - sys XP, Office XP - no troubles, but after installing MetaTexis XP, Word 2002 started showing that error, even though all programs (MT, Trados & Word) kept on working perfectly.

I knew MetaTexis and Trados were compatible, but after having downloaded a couple of patches, as suggested by the Online Office Support, and \"repaired\" Office with no results I was about to reinstall Word, when I read your message. Silly me, I should have put this on top of my list of all possible \"let\'s-try-this\": you made me save a lot of time, thanks again.

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-15 13:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-15 13:25 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word not working after installing Trados 5.5

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »