Mobile menu

Anybody out there know how to export Outlook Express Messages from one PC to another?
Thread poster: Vanina Ricciardelli

Vanina Ricciardelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 25, 2002

Hi, everbody! I\'ve just bought a new PC and I want to import the Outlook Express messages from my old PC but I can\'t seem to get it right. I\'ve tried using the export option but it only exports the messages to other programs like MS Outlook. I\'m sure you all know how to do this!

TIA

Vanina

Direct link Reply with quote

Rita Damo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's a piece of cake Sep 25, 2002

Create a sub-folder in your old PC. You can name it \'Messages\'

Open Outlook Express

Select Tools > Options > Maintenance

Click Store Folder to change the location of your message store.

Store messages in the new sub-folder. Then you are able to copy the contents of this sub-folder in a disk or CD and transfer messages to your new computer.

Make sure to create the same sub-folder in your new PC.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Another way Sep 25, 2002

Go to File - Export, select the user profile you want to export messages from, then select all Outlook Express directories to be exported. Your messages will be stored (and compressed) in a directory:

C:\\...\\identities\\{big_number}\\Microsoft\\Outlook Express\\

However, you need to locate this directory on your PC, because the {big_number} and the c:\\...\\ location depend on your individual settings. The easiest way ist to perform a search for *.dbx files. You need then to copy all files from the am. directory on CD, and so you´ll be able to import them elswhere.

See MS help files for Outlook Express, there you´ll find a better description.

Jerzy

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
You can do it manually... Sep 26, 2002

just as my other colleagues suggested, or you can download a backup software (there are quite a few around - I use Genie Backup Manager) that also saves your accounts, contacts, rules, signatures and more. The great thing is that you can compress all data in a self executable file, so you don´t need to have the program installed in the machine you want to move your messages to.

Good luck,

Rossana

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-26 04:39 ]

Vanina Ricciardelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!! Oct 11, 2002

Thank you guys!!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody out there know how to export Outlook Express Messages from one PC to another?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs