Bosnian Special Chars into ISO 8859-1
Thread poster: hatipovic
hatipovic
Local time: 23:22
German to Bosnian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2006

Hello,
we did a translation from german into bosnian. Now, the client wants us to replace the bosnian special chars: š, đ, č, ć, ž (and the uppercases) with the chars from the ISO 8859-1. What is the representation of this chars in ISO 8859-1?

Regards,
Mirza

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
8859-2 Sep 5, 2006

Hello Mirza,

the code page ISO 8859-1 does not contain any Bosnian characters. Your client will need to use 8859-2 to represent Bosnian characters, which may pose a problem if he additionally uses characters from 8859-1.

The code map for 8859-2 can be found here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-2

HTH.

Sonja

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The customer has possibly a font problem Sep 11, 2006

(like é instead of č, dropped-out đ etc)... which can not be solved by juggling the character sets. They would need to get middle-european fonts, as opposed to west-european standard font files.

I guess ...(g)

LP za BiH

Vito

PS: ... switching to UTF-8 would be a sensible suggestion - but then they would need unicode fonts, asfar as I understand it.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
UTF-8 should be no problem Sep 20, 2006

PS: ... switching to UTF-8 would be a sensible suggestion - but then they would need unicode fonts, asfar as I understand it.

UTF-8 is definitely a good choice. Today, all TrueType/OpenType fonts are Unicode-based, so there should be no problem. I'd advise DejaVu fonts (http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/) they've a very extensive subset of Latin and Cyrillic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bosnian Special Chars into ISO 8859-1

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs