Bosnian Special Chars into ISO 8859-1
Thread poster: hatipovic
hatipovic
Local time: 02:29
German to Bosnian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2006

Hello,
we did a translation from german into bosnian. Now, the client wants us to replace the bosnian special chars: š, đ, č, ć, ž (and the uppercases) with the chars from the ISO 8859-1. What is the representation of this chars in ISO 8859-1?

Regards,
Mirza

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
8859-2 Sep 5, 2006

Hello Mirza,

the code page ISO 8859-1 does not contain any Bosnian characters. Your client will need to use 8859-2 to represent Bosnian characters, which may pose a problem if he additionally uses characters from 8859-1.

The code map for 8859-2 can be found here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-2

HTH.

Sonja

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The customer has possibly a font problem Sep 11, 2006

(like é instead of č, dropped-out đ etc)... which can not be solved by juggling the character sets. They would need to get middle-european fonts, as opposed to west-european standard font files.

I guess ...(g)

LP za BiH

Vito

PS: ... switching to UTF-8 would be a sensible suggestion - but then they would need unicode fonts, asfar as I understand it.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
UTF-8 should be no problem Sep 20, 2006

PS: ... switching to UTF-8 would be a sensible suggestion - but then they would need unicode fonts, asfar as I understand it.

UTF-8 is definitely a good choice. Today, all TrueType/OpenType fonts are Unicode-based, so there should be no problem. I'd advise DejaVu fonts (http://dejavu.sourceforge.net/) they've a very extensive subset of Latin and Cyrillic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bosnian Special Chars into ISO 8859-1

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs