Thread poster: Austra Muizniece

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:31
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2006

I do regular translations for a client in packaging industry and most of the work is updating previous translations . Normally I work with rtf and xml files which are a piece of cake, but every once in a while I have to update a file with "us" extension. It is normally called xxxlng.us, can be opened in notepad and then edited in Word. This file contains a list of strings that look like this:

"M12345=text"
"M12346=text"
"M12347=text"

All the strings have a different ID at the beginning. Now, the problems start when I try to work on this file with CAT tools. In updated files the string IDs change, the text mostly stays the same, but segments come up as fuzzy matches, so I have to edit the ID. I end up having about 1000 strings in total, with only a few changes in the text, but because of the changes in ID numbers I have to spend a lot of time on this file.

Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a way to divide the strings in 2 parts (ID and text) and assemble them later? I have Trados 6 Freelance and Déjà Vu X 7.0.284.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-09-26 10:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:31
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Using CAT for strings with numerical ID Sep 26, 2006

First add the Trados styles to the document. Open it in Word, press Alt-F8 and run the sAddTagStyles macro.

Then apply the tw4winExternal style to the ID and to the double quotes:

1. Search for:
(M*=)

Replace with:
\1
and the tw4winExternal style

Check "Use Wildcards" and Replace All.

2. Search for:
"

Replace with:
"
and the tw4winExternal style

Uncheck "Use Wildcards" and Replace All.

From now on, Trados will skip the IDs.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I see two ways Sep 26, 2006

One simple way:

1: add "=" to the list of characters that segment the text (in TWB files/setup/segmentation rules)

2. Change Mnnnn to M nnnnn (1 - nnnn is now simple insertable)

The results should be that Mnnnnn= turns into two segments - "M nnnn" that will pretranslate and "your text" which is what you want

3. once finished, you need do drop the blanks from "M nnnn"

The other way: if you format the strings M^#^#^#^#= in your file (using global search and replace) as tw4winExternal, Trados will skip it. TortoiseTagger.dot (downloadable, just google for it) can help you do that.
[EDIT] Hynek said the same.

well, there's the third way - send me the file;)

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2006-09-26 10:54]

[Edited at 2006-09-26 10:55]

Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:31
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Vito and Hynek Sep 26, 2006

I'll try this out and see how it works.

Vito Smolej wrote:

well, there's the third way - send me the file;)

You probably wouldn't enjoy receiving a file like that every 2-3 weeks:), but thanks for the offer anyway.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Tips for Wordfast and OmegaT Sep 26, 2006

Austra Muizniece wrote:
This file contains a list of strings that look like this:

"M12345=text"
"M12346=text"
"M12347=text"

In Wordfast, use MS Word's find/replace with regex to mark everything before the equal sign as tw4winExternal. In OmegaT, add a segmentation rule that breaks the text at the equal sign, or replace all equal signs in your favourite text editor with =. (equal, fullstop, space) and translate using normal rules. Afterwards, remove the fullstops.

Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a way to divide the strings in 2 parts (ID and text) and assemble them later?

You can use a spreadsheet. Replace all equal signs with tabs, and open the file in the spreadsheet. Copy the B column to a new document and translate it. Copy it back, and then copy both columns to a new document, and replace tabs with equal signs.

Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Standard format in OmegaT Sep 27, 2006

Hello Samuel,

Austra Muizniece wrote:
This file contains a list of strings that look like this:

"M12345=text"
"M12346=text"
"M12347=text"

Samuel Murray wrote:
In OmegaT, add a segmentation rule that breaks the text at the equal sign, or replace all equal signs in your favourite text editor with =. (equal, fullstop, space) and translate using normal rules. Afterwards, remove the fullstops.

There is a simpler way in OmegaT:
OmegaT has a specific format for this. All you have to do is rename your file to ".ini" (e.g., xxxlng.us.ini), or add the ".us" extension to the "Key=Value text files" filter.

And voilà.

Didier Briel

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
WHO SAID I WOULD NOT ENJOY IT?!... Oct 3, 2006

We were not amused;)

Vito

PS: I would OF COURSE write myself a little piece of code... which I would send you on the second or third mail. So that we could have time to discuss ... hmmm ... Knut Hamsun ... or salmon fishing in Norway...

[Edited at 2006-10-03 22:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using CAT for strings with numerical ID

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs