https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/57122-help_with_sdlx_lite_please_urgent.html

Help with SDLX lite, please! (urgent)
Thread poster: SandraV
SandraV
SandraV  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:55
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2006

Hello,

A client sent me some itd. files for translation. I have never used SDLX Lite. I looked up for some information on SDLX, but I really don't understand well how to use it. I can see that some segments are gold and some green. As far as I understand the gold segments are repetitions, and the green ones are fuzzy matches? What am I suppose to do with these segments?

Thank you for ay help you can give me.

Sandra

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
100%, fuzzies, colors and TMs Oct 9, 2006

Hi Sandra,

usually the gold segments are 100% matches (ie. full matches from the TM) and the green ones are fuzzy matches (as you said yourself). However, the colors can be set differently, so you might want to double-check under "Tools" > "Set colors" what the colors mean.

What to do with the segments? In case of the 100% matches it really depends on the client's instructions - do they want you to check and edit the 100% matches (and do they pay for it)? Then you can s
... See more
Hi Sandra,

usually the gold segments are 100% matches (ie. full matches from the TM) and the green ones are fuzzy matches (as you said yourself). However, the colors can be set differently, so you might want to double-check under "Tools" > "Set colors" what the colors mean.

What to do with the segments? In case of the 100% matches it really depends on the client's instructions - do they want you to check and edit the 100% matches (and do they pay for it)? Then you can simply make changes and confirm the segment by pressing Enter. If you don't think it's necessary to make a change, don't do anything, just leave the segment as it is (and leave it golden). Usually, however, you are not required to look at the 100% matches and can just ignore them anyway.

For the fuzzy matches, just make any relevant changes to the translation and confirm by pressing Enter.

The client will have sent you a TM (in .mdb format). Unlike in Trados (where it is opened automatically), you need to open the TM in order to be able to use it and look terms up ("Concordance Search") and check the fuzzy matches. The option "View Source Differences" (in the menu "Translation Memory") enables you to see how the source text changed for the fuzzy matches, so that you can easily adapt the fuzzy match to the new source text. Simply click on the fuzzy match, then choose the option and you'll see the source difference in a small window.

Hope this helps for now.
Thomas

PS: When you confirm a translated segment (by pressing Enter) it will become blue.

[Edited at 2006-10-09 16:52]
Collapse

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation segments are not translated either Oct 9, 2006

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much for your help. The thing is that the gold and green segments contain the same untranslated texts as in the left column (English, source text), I mean, this segments (translation segments) are not translated either.

Sandra

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
must be a mistake Oct 9, 2006

Hi Sandra

I guess it was a mistake on the part of the customer.

In SDLX, normally bilingual files (itds), the ones you use to translate are innitially an English-English copy. The copy source option of Trados is activated automatically and to start with you get the source language copied in the target language column. Maybe the customer onced confirmed untranslated segments by mistake (by pressing enter, making them turn blue), and after updated the TM with a translatio
... See more
Hi Sandra

I guess it was a mistake on the part of the customer.

In SDLX, normally bilingual files (itds), the ones you use to translate are innitially an English-English copy. The copy source option of Trados is activated automatically and to start with you get the source language copied in the target language column. Maybe the customer onced confirmed untranslated segments by mistake (by pressing enter, making them turn blue), and after updated the TM with a translation that was not complet without realising.

You may wish to confirm with your client that s/he wants the gold segments translated. You may also want to make sure you get paid for those segments at the "no match" rate, just in case they are asking for a discount for matches that were not there in the first place.

I hope it helps

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-10-09 17:31]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Do you have a TM? Oct 9, 2006

You're saying the 100% matches are not translated (ie. English on both the English and Spanish side)? That's strange. Does this apply to all matches or just a few? If it's just a few, then I agree with Marta - some untranslated strings might have found their way into the TM by mistake and you should check with the client.

If really everything is in English, I can think of a possible reason, but need to know whether you have a TM for this job. Has the client applied a TM from previou
... See more
You're saying the 100% matches are not translated (ie. English on both the English and Spanish side)? That's strange. Does this apply to all matches or just a few? If it's just a few, then I agree with Marta - some untranslated strings might have found their way into the TM by mistake and you should check with the client.

If really everything is in English, I can think of a possible reason, but need to know whether you have a TM for this job. Has the client applied a TM from previous translations?

If there is no TM for this job, the client might have just created a dummy TM (ie. a TM from the untranslated file), and applied it only in order to find out which segments are repeated within the file. There are easier ways to find out and report repeated segments within the file, but sometimes people don't go the easy way.

So, if you don't have a TM for this job and know that no TM from a previous translation is to be used on this job, this might be the reason for the untranslated fuzzies etc.

Let me know if that's the case and I'll explain the next steps.
Collapse

SandraV
Mexico
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The company wants those words left in English. Thanks! Oct 9, 2006

Hi Marta and Tomas,

I already confirmed with the client and the company wants those words left in English.

Thank you very much for your help!

Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with SDLX lite, please! (urgent)

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »