Importing TMX file from WF to Trados - wrinkle
Thread poster: lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:58
Portuguese to English
Oct 9, 2006

I know this subject has been dealt with in previous threads in this forum, but I'm experiencing a particular wrinkle of it.

I'm co-operatingwith a colleague on a project - he working in WF and me in Trados. I know how to import a TMX export of his TM into Trados, but it's not working. TMXValidator claims to find an invalid byte on line 21 of his exported TM, and Trados freezes when I try to import it. That is not to say that, having edited line 21, TMXValidator might not find other errors, and so on ad infinitum.

My question is: is there a simple way of ensuring that he exports a valid TMX file? I know that a *.txt file exported from WF won't import into Trados, but is there some simple fix or conversion that more knowledgeable colleagues can suggest?

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:58
English to Spanish
Clean invalid chars at once Oct 9, 2006

lexical wrote:
TMXValidator claims to find an invalid byte on line 21 of his exported TM, and Trados freezes when I try to import it. That is not to say that, having edited line 21, TMXValidator might not find other errors, and so on ad infinitum.

TMXValidator has an option for cleaning invalid characters from a TMX file. Use the button with 3 cubes from the toolbar to clean your file or select "Clean Invalid Characters" in File menu.

Regards,
Rodolfo

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:58
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Oct 10, 2006

Many thanks, Rodolfo. It looks like it's going to work now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing TMX file from WF to Trados - wrinkle

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums