Which CAT tools can password-protect a TM?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:33
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2006

Hi all,

I want to get an overview which CAT tools, besides Trados, that enables password protection for the TM. I think Star Transit does that too.

I asked the question regarding WF, and apparently, this feature is not supported:
http://www.proz.com/post/433780

But apart from these, do you know anything about Deja Vu, SDLX, Across, OmegaT, Heartsome, IBM TM2 et
... See more
Hi all,

I want to get an overview which CAT tools, besides Trados, that enables password protection for the TM. I think Star Transit does that too.

I asked the question regarding WF, and apparently, this feature is not supported:
http://www.proz.com/post/433780

But apart from these, do you know anything about Deja Vu, SDLX, Across, OmegaT, Heartsome, IBM TM2 etc???

Any input is appreciated!

/Jan
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
Database security Oct 18, 2006

Hi,

Heartsome stores data in standard databases, like MySQL, MS SQL Server 2000, Oracle, IBM DB2, etc. All these database engines use passwords to protect your TM databases.

Regards,
Rodolfo

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Oct 18, 2006

Read your Wordfast TM in Word and password-protect it.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
OmegaT Oct 18, 2006

I am not sure why you need a password protected TM (apparently I did not read that previous thread of yours, and unfortunately I don't have time to do that now), but OmegaT has a different approach to utilising TMs.

First there is the project TM that contains all the TUs from the source files. Then there are legacy TMs that are stored in a special folder called /tm. These legacy TMs are read only, i.e. OmT does not write anyt
... See more
I am not sure why you need a password protected TM (apparently I did not read that previous thread of yours, and unfortunately I don't have time to do that now), but OmegaT has a different approach to utilising TMs.

First there is the project TM that contains all the TUs from the source files. Then there are legacy TMs that are stored in a special folder called /tm. These legacy TMs are read only, i.e. OmT does not write anything into these TMs. The only TM that is populated during the translation is the project TM.

As you may see, a password protected TM wouldn't make any sense at all since your TMs are not supposed to be changed in any way.

If you need to have an updated TM after the translation is complete, the project TM can be merged with the legacy TM (or TMs, as you can place multiple files into the /tm folder).

HTH.

Sonja
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast VLTM Workgroups Oct 18, 2006

Hi Jan,

I've re-read your former thread and I think Wordfast could offer a solution. Read about the Wordfast VLTM project and Wordfast VLTM Workgroups or ask Yves Champollion himself.

http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=workgroup

Kind regards,
Gerard

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What? Oct 19, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:
I asked the question regarding WF, and apparently, this feature is not supported...

I ask the same question as I had asked in that forum -- what is it that you want to password protect? Do you want to keep the translator from browsing the TM while enabling him to use the TM in the CAT tool? Or do you want to prevent the translator from changing existing entries and only add new entries? Or do you want to keep the translator from adding anything, but allow him to view everything? What? Or... do you want to ensure that the TM is only used in a specific CAT tool and not in any other tool?

[Edited at 2006-10-19 10:53]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More clarification... Oct 19, 2006

Hi Samuel and all,

As I wrote in a previous thread:

"I have large TM's generated by many different translators, and I want to send it out to a new freelancer for recurring assignments, without risking that he export the segments and use it on his own.

Instead of having to do a "pretranslate" and create a new TM for each and every new document, in Trados I can simply give him non-exclusive access to the TM, with a time-stamped expiry date, and he can use it
... See more
Hi Samuel and all,

As I wrote in a previous thread:

"I have large TM's generated by many different translators, and I want to send it out to a new freelancer for recurring assignments, without risking that he export the segments and use it on his own.

Instead of having to do a "pretranslate" and create a new TM for each and every new document, in Trados I can simply give him non-exclusive access to the TM, with a time-stamped expiry date, and he can use it without any support or maintainance necessary from my side.

I guess it makes no sense from a translators point of view. But I'm asking as an outsourcer."

OK, so I want to be able to send an existing TM to the translator, so that he can work with it, search the concordance for existing entries. But not export it to an open format like TXT.
An additional bonus would be a time stamp with an expiry date, like Trados has.

I know I'll get a lot of angry and upset replies: "why would you want to do that, information wants to be free, this goes against the nature of translation ethics, etc".

But my TMs consist of a collective effort of many translators, working for a span of several years. There's no way I would sent it our in an open format to a freelancer, enabling him/her to use it for third parties. Do you get my question now?!

BTW Gerard, thanks for the tip about WF VLTM, this sounds interesting, I will definitely look into it.

/Jan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tools can password-protect a TM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »