Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 00:24
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 27, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I've received a large PowerPoint presentation with slides and footnotes. The client has instructed me to translate only the slides. I tried copying the slides and creating a new PowerPoint file but this way I dont get all the parameters right (fonts, colours, etc). I could try to translate only the content of the slides jumping over the footnotes but I dont want to risk forgetting something.

Some help, please??
Thanks a lot in advance

... See more
Dear colleagues,

I've received a large PowerPoint presentation with slides and footnotes. The client has instructed me to translate only the slides. I tried copying the slides and creating a new PowerPoint file but this way I dont get all the parameters right (fonts, colours, etc). I could try to translate only the content of the slides jumping over the footnotes but I dont want to risk forgetting something.

Some help, please??
Thanks a lot in advance

Conrado
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Instructuions from the WF manual Oct 27, 2006

From the WF manual:

Excel, PowerPoint & Access
This feature should be tested before use, because Wordfast may have difficulties initiating the necessary Ms-Office links.

1. Start Excel (or PowerPoint or Access), open the sheet (or presentation or table), place the cursor in the cell (or slide/shape or record/field) where the translation should begin (note: do not actually enter the cell/shape/field, as when you want to edit it - just position the cursor on it).... See more
From the WF manual:

Excel, PowerPoint & Access
This feature should be tested before use, because Wordfast may have difficulties initiating the necessary Ms-Office links.

1. Start Excel (or PowerPoint or Access), open the sheet (or presentation or table), place the cursor in the cell (or slide/shape or record/field) where the translation should begin (note: do not actually enter the cell/shape/field, as when you want to edit it - just position the cursor on it).
2. Go back to Ms-Word, start a Wordfast translation session on an empty Ms-Word document.

If you resume translation after having closed the translation session, re-open the last segment in the Ms-Word document and click the Next segment icon. This allows Wordfast to "know" from which slide, shape or record to resume working.

Note:
1. There should be no read/write restrictions on the remote document.
2. This feature can be combined with Wordfast's Translate tool, Xtrans! tool, or the MT facility.
3. With Excel, if you wish to exclude columns/lines from the translation, give them a width/height of 0.
4. With PowerPoint, I recommend using Word2000, which is compatible with PowerPoint's colour scheme (with Word97, you risk reducing the number of colours used in the PPT presentation).
If you wish to exclude slide notes fom the translation, enter "NoPowerPointNotes" in Pandora's box.
5. A document used to translate an Excel/PowerPoint/Access file is linked to that application. Use the Wordfast menu option "Unlink" on a document to unlink it, or "Relink" to re-link it to the source application and file. This may be useful if, for example, the translated file has to be revised in the absence of the source application.

Personally, I don't even try to use WF - if the manual itself sayss there could be problems, i don't want to know! I print out the original and translate directly in PP, using the paper copy to check against afterwards.
Collapse

Pablo Mayen
Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right... Oct 27, 2006

Personally, I don't even try to use WF - if the manual itself sayss there could be problems, i don't want to know! I print out the original and translate directly in PP, using the paper copy to check against afterwards. [/quote]

and I've noticed that when the text inside a PPT is so long it reaches the bottom margin of the slide, sometimes Word crashes.

WF definitively works smoothly on .doc and .xls documents, but not that smooth on PowerPoint.

[Edited at
... See more
Personally, I don't even try to use WF - if the manual itself sayss there could be problems, i don't want to know! I print out the original and translate directly in PP, using the paper copy to check against afterwards. [/quote]

and I've noticed that when the text inside a PPT is so long it reaches the bottom margin of the slide, sometimes Word crashes.

WF definitively works smoothly on .doc and .xls documents, but not that smooth on PowerPoint.

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:10]
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
How complex is your PPT? Oct 27, 2006

Depending on the complexity of your PPT, you could try OmegaT. OmegaT deals nicely with OpenOffice Impress files. The problem lies in the PPT->OOo Impress conversion. The most loss - if any - will occur there.

OmegaT then extracts all text from the files. AFAIK, footnotes are (not yet) supported (but it would be best to check that beforehand; I remember a discussion about footnotes in Writer files being supported).

HTH.

Sonja

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:24
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Pandora box Oct 27, 2006

No_PowerPointNotes

just delete the underscore and go ahead.

I always translate ppt with wordfast without problems.

You just need to do a litle formating post translation.

good work, P.

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:54]

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 30, 2006

Hello all,

Thanks for your support. I know Wordfst isn't great with PowerPoints, actually, it is a pain in the ass. I am happy with my Wordfast but I really hope in future the new Wordfast versions will successfully tackle this handicap.

I used the Pandora's Box No_FootNotes command and it worked wonderfully, well, sorts of)

Thanks!

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Timely help at a moment of great need! Oct 30, 2006

This is great. Just what I needed for a PowerPoint job I started today! Thanks one and all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import PowerPoint slides into Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »