Mobile menu

CAT Tools- It looks like translation programs are growing to become as good as professionals
Thread poster: esing

esing
India
Local time: 08:24
Malayalam to English
+ ...
Oct 31, 2006

Though Google’s on line web translation tool is installed on my computer, I had not used it until yesterday. While reading on line Spanish newspaper ABC, I clicked the translate button just out of curiosity. The result was startling. I got instantly very good translation that was almost perfect to about 95 percent.

I do not know of any translation tool that are available either for sale or free downloading that match the quality of Google web translation service. Information on CAT Tools from readers would be helpful.

The day may not be far off when professionals would have infinitesimal job to do while translating with the help of CAT Tools.

Direct link Reply with quote

Renata Liapis Papadopoulos  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
How good is it really? Oct 31, 2006

esing wrote:

Though Google’s on line web translation tool is installed on my computer, I had not used it until yesterday. While reading on line Spanish newspaper ABC, I clicked the translate button just out of curiosity. The result was startling. I got instantly very good translation that was almost perfect to about 95 percent.

I do not know of any translation tool that are available either for sale or free downloading that match the quality of Google web translation service. Information on CAT Tools from readers would be helpful.

The day may not be far off when professionals would have infinitesimal job to do while translating with the help of CAT Tools.

I tried with this paragraph for Italian to English-
"I carabinieri hanno eseguito stamane sette ordinanze di arresto di sospetti appartenenti al clan Misso, ritenuto artefice della sanguinosa faida di camorra contro una componente scissionista dello stess clan nel quartiere attivo nel centro storico Sanità

and here's what I got

"The police officers have executed stamane seven decrees of arrest of suspiciones pertaining to the Misso clan, thought craftsman of bloody faida of racket against one the scissionista member of the same clan in the active quarter in the historical center Health."

This would have to be rewritten (actually translated again) to make sense.

Of course Angela is correct in her distinction - this is machine translation, not a cat tool. However, I fail to see how it is an improvement over the many other similar programs currently on offer.

[Edited at 2006-10-31 12:03]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:54
French to English
+ ...
Once again.... Oct 31, 2006

CAT tools are not the same as machine translation. Yes, machine translation can be useful. CAT tools are also useful. They do different jobs.

Tangopeter

Local time: 03:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Test quality by back translation... Oct 31, 2006

and you will find the results of machine translation are startling indeed...

TwArg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:54
English to Spanish
translation software Oct 31, 2006

I currently use the PAHO Machine Translation system, and it works well 90% of the time. It actually helps my job and saves typing. Of course, it needs human supervision and editing.

After machine translation, I run WinAlign and export the translation memory to Trados. I found it convenient, despite the initial processing time.

I am being offered the following packages:

Word Magic Premier 4.46
Ace Translator 4.1
Storm Translator 1.2
Babylon Pro Suite 5.0.6
Talking Translator Pro 1.7
Business Translator 7.0.6200
Translator Pad 1.70
Cute Trasnlator 1.01
Translator Internet 1.1
IE Translator 2.1
Web Translator 6.00.577
Magic Translator 6.00
Google Translator 2006
Site Translator 2.42
AIM Translator 3.0
Pragma Pro 4.01.003
Geographic Translator 3.0
TransSuite Español-Inglès 4.0

Anyone knows how do they perform?

How do they compare with PAHO?

I think it will be interesting to run a few tests...

Renata Liapis Papadopoulos  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Quite startling indeed! Oct 31, 2006

Tangopeter wrote:

and you will find the results of machine translation are startling indeed...

So can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong here - because apparently some people find that it is helpful to use machine translation, but the few times I have tried on small passages, the results have been atrocious and not helpful at all, as it would be quicker to just translate. I hate to think what kind of work would be involved in larger texts. Any suggestions?

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
uses of MT Oct 31, 2006

I don't use machine translation - it doesn't have much application in my work, which, although mostly in the medical field, is very varied. However, as I understand it, in large organisations which produce large volumes of documentation, the procedure goes something like this:

1. the docs are written using 'controlled language' (a restricted vocabulary, presumably) - authors are trained in how to do this;
2. a custom-made (and *expensive*) machine translation package is used, not a free tool available on the internet. This will be specifically designed for the particular company;
3. post-editing is then done on the resulting translation.

This procedure is presumably more cost-effective than straight translation - otherwise the companies would not use it.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/WJHutchins/IJT.htm
the link above goes to an article explaining a little about the history of MT.

Edit: I'd love to know more about how the poster above (who appears to be an individual freelancer) applies MT to his/her work.

[Edited at 2006-10-31 13:33]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
one small test doesn't prove anything Oct 31, 2006

esing wrote:

That's a very broad-ranging statement!

As many people have pointed out, the results are usually disastrous.

As someone else pointed out, custom-made MTs produce good results only on the basis of very strict design criteria, the use of controlled language, and post-MT editing.

To accept the truth of your statement, I would want to test and test and test again.

I would also want to know, in regard to your test, how good your Spanish is, how good your English is, how complex the test was, etc.

Nicole Martin
Local time: 21:54
German to English
I think we're still safe Oct 31, 2006

The only thing I use MT for is entertainment: I'll put in a section of a news article or e-mail, hit translate, and then get a good laugh out of the results. It's even better if you put it through a few language pairs first, e.g. German to French to Spanish to Portuguese to English to Russian, etc. and then into your native language. Hilarious!

After seeing this thread, I decided to do a little test of my own. I took a paragraph from an article on the Spiegel website today about violence in public transportation. For the sake of keeping my post shorter, I'll just copy in the "translation" it gave me.

"Hamburg - the escalation before the Videothek in the citizen of Berlin problem district Neukölln did not come from that anything: Without preliminary warning the young man Daniel P rammed. the knife deeply into the thigh. It stepped and hit with four friends the 18-Jährigen which is because of the soil. Daniel P. lost much blood. In the hospital the physicians saved his life. Also his brother Patrick was attacked, a measurer pass hurt him easily. From the authors each trace is missing."

Now, it's bad all the way through, but at least you can kind of get the idea in the beginning. Then you get to sentences like "did not come from that anything" (came out of nowhere), "...which is because of the soil" (actually is saying the victim was lying on the ground), "a measurer pass hurt him easily (his brother was slightly wounded by a stab with a knife)" and "From the authors each trace is missing" (there is no trace of the attackers). If you didn't know German at all, would you even be able to figure out what it was saying?

If Google is churning out results like this, I would venture to say we'll all still be employed for a while.

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Humans can cope with errors Oct 31, 2006

Yesterday I translated (Fr > En) a phrase in a manual for a testing system: "couple moyen autotest".
Would an MT system have been able to decide that this should have been "couplage moyen autotest" and meant a mean value of cross-talk (between channels of a radar transmitter-receiver), determined during a self-test process?
Oliver

Timothy Barton
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Boring....... Oct 31, 2006

How many more posts like this are we going to have? They crop up at least once a month. Anyway, could someone move this post, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with CAT tools?

esing
India
Local time: 08:24
Malayalam to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one small test doesn't prove anything Nov 1, 2006

I agree with Lia Fail that one small test doesn't prove anything

My post was intended to update and discuss the developments in the area of translation in which the role of computer programs is growing significantly.

These developments would make the professionals’ job much easier and less strenuous.

The header in Spanish newspaper ABC of October 30 and its translation given Google is reproduced below.

ABC's News header

Lula se saca la espina y logra la presidencia con una ventaja de 20 puntos sobre Alckmin

Translation by Google

Lula removes the thorn and obtains the presidency with an advantage of 20 points on Alckmin

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
fairies the expense Nov 4, 2006

that's google's translation of "fate la spesa" ("do the shopping").

Or do you prefer "gone to make the expense"? That's what it makes of "andate a fare la spesa" ("go and do the shopping").

I rest my case.

[Edited at 2006-11-04 21:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT Tools- It looks like translation programs are growing to become as good as professionals

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs