Mobile menu

How can I hide the tags while translating XML files?
Thread poster: Anthony Dr. Williams

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
Local time: 18:53
German to English
Oct 24, 2002

Hello all,

I have XML files to translate. This works quite well with the Trados TagEditor but I would like to see the text without the source code so as to get a better overview. Does anyone know of a good and SIMPLE editor I could use to view only the text that will be visable to the webpage user?? The files by the way are in rtf format oddly enough (well I`m not a computer talent so maybe the reason for the rtf part is obvious to others!!)

Thanks for your help

Anthony Williams

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Preview in TagEditor Oct 24, 2002

If the preview window in TagEditor is showing you more than the actually translated text (source code etc.), this is also the way the file will look like in your browser. The xml file will probably get processed later or will be involved in another application. Maybe your client converted the files to rtf, because he thought you would translate it in Word.

Several months ago, I had also a with xml files, which were actually display messages of a machine. Every line of translation looked like this:

Text GUID=\" 1BBA7442-D292-47A0-9B9B-D9EBA1A9AA09 \" lgsource=\"DE\" lgtarget=\"EN\" ref=\"\" max=\"28\" diff=\"0\" product data archive Text

Sorry, I had to edit this a little, because posting xml code is not possible.

Maybe your files look similar.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-24 21:55 ]

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 19:53
Japanese to English
+ ...
XML Editors Oct 24, 2002

Try finding something here:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Data_Formats/Markup_Languages/XML/Tools/Editors/

You may need to rename the .rtf files to .xml before you edit them.

But then again, you may not need any XML editing tools at all. Seeing as the client provided .rtf files, the idea was probably that you could work directly into the files, just staying clear of the XML tags.

Many HTML files have been painlessly translated this way.

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Oct 24, 2002

Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it a lot

Kind regards

Anthony

Quote:

On 2002-10-24 20:15, meier wrote:

If the preview window in TagEditor is showing you more than the actually translated text (source code etc.), this is also the way the file will look like in your browser. The xml file will probably get processed later or will be involved in another application. Maybe your client converted the files to rtf, because he thought you would translate it in Word.

Several months ago, I had also a with xml files, which were actually display messages of a machine. Every line of translation looked like this:

product data archive

Maybe your files look similar.

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 24, 2002

Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it a lot

Kind regards

Anthony

Quote:

On 2002-10-24 20:37, sandup wrote:

Try finding something here:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Data_Formats/Markup_Languages/XML/Tools/Editors/

You may need to rename the .rtf files to .xml before you edit them.

But then again, you may not need any XML editing tools at all. Seeing as the client provided .rtf files, the idea was probably that you could work directly into the files, just staying clear of the XML tags.

Many HTML files have been painlessly translated this way.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You need the DTD setup Oct 24, 2002

Ideally, TagEditor should only show the translatable text as such, with all other commands clearly identified as tags. This, however, depends on the information provided to TagEditor, in the form of an .ini file (which, in turn, is based on DTD settings which should be provided by the author of the XML files). While standard .ini files for HTML and XSL (extended style sheets) are included in the Trados setup, there\'s no standard for XML (one of the reasons for using XML is its extended functionality - no way to anticipate whatever an author might include).

More info is included in the TRADOS Translation Guide, section 7-5; the TW_users group on groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/ is also a good place to find some more info.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Text Overview Without Code Oct 25, 2002

Hi,

I am editing *.rtf files (originally *.xml files) myself and I understand your problem veeery well! I have solved the problem, in that I have used SDLX\' Edit to import the tagged files. Should you have SDLX, you only need to choose XML files, select the languages, under options check translatables + segments on the right and auto detect coding on the left, then save. Using the wizard you can import the *.rtf (just choose *.* files instead of XML files). Once done, Edit will show source language in the left column and target language in the right column (if you are editing) or left and right the source language as usual, but NO code at all! The Format Paste option is tricky, therefore once you recreate the file you might find out that some tags are broken or the format is different, that\'s why I would suggest not to accept automatically all TM \"suggestions\".

This is for me a good solution (I can edit a file more quickly, have a better overview, can check TBs directly and see TMs proposals at the bottom), even though I have to check the edited file from the beginning, after recreating it, in MS Word and do some extra tinkering around with code and formatting (not always, it depends on the file).

The *.xml files are very heavy and very many, that\'s why one gets a single *.rtf file instead (I have been told that a *.rtf of about 7500 wrd is made up by about 700 *.xml files, that is 400 KB against 2,5 MB... quite a difference,isn\'t it?)

Giuliana
[addsig]

Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 25, 2002

Also many thanks to you - you all have helped me on a lot - I really appreciate it and hope I can also be of help to you one day!

Anthony

Quote:

On 2002-10-25 00:06, docgy wrote:

Hi,

I am editing *.rtf files (originally *.xml files) myself and I understand your problem veeery well! I have solved the problem, in that I have used SDLX\' Edit to import the tagged files. Should you have SDLX, you only need to choose XML files, select the languages, under options check translatables + segments on the right and auto detect coding on the left, then save. Using the wizard you can import the *.rtf (just choose *.* files instead of XML files). Once done, Edit will show source language in the left column and target language in the right column (if you are editing) or left and right the source language as usual, but NO code at all! The Format Paste option is tricky, therefore once you recreate the file you might find out that some tags are broken or the format is different, that\'s why I would suggest not to accept automatically all TM \"suggestions\".

This is for me a good solution (I can edit a file more quickly, have a better overview, can check TBs directly and see TMs proposals at the bottom), even though I have to check the edited file from the beginning, after recreating it, in MS Word and do some extra tinkering around with code and formatting (not always, it depends on the file).

The *.xml files are very heavy and very many, that\'s why one gets a single *.rtf file instead (I have been told that a *.rtf of about 7500 wrd is made up by about 700 *.xml files, that is 400 KB against 2,5 MB... quite a difference,isn\'t it?)

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I hide the tags while translating XML files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs