Thread poster: xxxBBaur
xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 18:00
English to German
+ ...
Oct 26, 2002

Hello,

I have just downloaded Abbyy fine reader, but whenever I try to convert my efax it gives me the message \"bad image file format\", although the text is perfectly legible when printed out. Does it depend on what scanner (the client\'s) was used or does it have to be scanned again or am I doing something wrong?

Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Birgit

Direct link Reply with quote

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
Not supported Oct 26, 2002

Quote:

\"bad image file format\"

This means the program does not support the file format and has nothing to do with the quality of the image.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:00
English to German
+ ...
Which file format? Oct 26, 2002

Hi Birgit,

What file format are you trying to read?

ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:00
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Explanation Oct 26, 2002

Hi!

1. If you use even a freeware version of efax, then there is an option (save as a TIFF file) which converts your message into TIFF. Afterwards, if you registered your FineReader - the best OCR software known in the world and something really outstanding - this software must read TIFF images well. Of course, one should stipulate that Fr is legally registered. Non-registered FR versions create then errors in use.

2. If you have problems with efax Plus registration, which explains why you efax image does not suit FR, then simply print it out and afterwards push into FR via scanner.

In case you will have more problems, you may write me directly.

Yours,

Tagir.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:00
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Birgit, Oct 26, 2002

FineReader doesn\'t read the e-fax format directly, you must convert it to graphical format first.

Please, go, for example, to http://a1270.g.akamai.net/f/1270/5371/1d/www.efax.com/sw/hotsend/efxsetup.exe

Download the free efax viewer and install it. After opening the .efx file in the viewer, please go to menu File - Save as (or export) and save the file in JPG or any other format. Then open it with FineReader, recognize and export to Word. You are done.

xxxBBaur
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. Oct 26, 2002

Thank you for your suggestions. It worked after changing the file format into .jpg or .tif. It is indeed a great software.

Many thanks Natalia for your continuous help.

Greetings,

Birgit

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy fine reader - bad image?

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs