Thread poster: Luciana Migliazza
Luciana Migliazza
Luciana Migliazza  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2006

Hello!
I am looking for some information on how to translate .js (Java Script) files. I know they are simple files like text edit files. the problem is I need a tool to separate what I should translate and what I dont have to change so as not to corrupt the file. Can you provide any suggestions? Is there any possibility to work with a tool like Trados 7.5 or similar?
Many thanks in advance!
Luciana

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
DVX Nov 15, 2006

Déjà Vu X can import Javascript files.
I have not tried this feature yet, but I have been told that Javascript can be problematic with any CAT tool.

At least when the Javascript "eval" command is used, no tool could ever work safely, because this command can create and execute Javascript code on the fly.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:12
German to Spanish
+ ...
Use DVX Nov 15, 2006

I guess DVX does the job. But, some logical meaning is needed. As like with any L10N project...

Luciana Migliazza
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Nov 15, 2006

Thanks for writing, I keep on trying :S

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:12
Spanish
+ ...
Rainbow 4 Nov 16, 2006

Enlaso's Rainbow 4 can convert .js (among others) files into .rtf files, that can be translated with any CAT tool, and then back to .js. It does have a steep learning curve, but once you've managed to learn how it's used, it's extremely useful. And it's free.

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Rainbow4.html

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Notepad Nov 16, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:
Enlaso's Rainbow 4 (...) does have a steep learning curve...

You can use Notepad to open the .JS (my WindowsXP has an awful fear of anything that might be active, yours may not) and then copy the JS's content into a Word file and that's how steep this learning curve is.

Krzysztof Kożurno

Luciana Migliazza
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how can I block tags? Nov 17, 2006

Once I copy the file from a notepad into a word document, I need to block the strings I can't change so as not to corrupt the original file. The file is full of strings that don't have to be translated.
Thanks!!! for helping.

Szabolcs Varga
Szabolcs Varga  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TM/2 can do it easily Jun 8, 2007

Just for the record: the IBM Translation Manager/2 can analyze JavaScript files quite well. It's really easy to use for .JS files.

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
How to translate JS Oct 8, 2015

I'm looking for a solution to translate the translatable content of a JS file.

DVX3 doesn't work (non-translatable content is imported, French characters aren't displayed correctly).

Okapi Rainbow doesn't run on El Capitan (Java 7 or higher required, though I already have Java 8).

What other solutions (CAT tools, open source apps, etc.) are available?

Thanks!

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate .js files using CAT tools

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »