How to create a glossary, translation memory?
Thread poster: Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2002

I would like to find out more about creating glossaries, and TM also. Which application (program) is the best and the simplest for any or both of those. For example, I have a glossary now in Excel, where the entries are sorted alphabetically, but it takes a long time to find a word, since it is quite a long glossary.

Thanks a lot to everybody who takes time to help me with this important issue.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:18
English to German
+ ...
Check the resources available Oct 28, 2002

Have you taken a look at the \"CAT tool center\"? Check the link on the left-hand navigation.

Also, the \"comparison shopping\" forum is a good place to get information.

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If you already have it in Excel, Oct 28, 2002

... you could use the List Management functions of Excel. I am sure MS Help will provide you with sufficient information about that, but I\'m not sure if Excel files are usable in the quality of translation memory (probably not). Then, you\'ll have to look up some CAT tool and convert your file according to its \"taste\", I\'m afraid.

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Polish to German
+ ...
Searching in Excel Oct 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-28 16:01, Mandrapa wrote:

I would like to find out more about creating glossaries, and TM also. Which application (program) is the best and the simplest for any or both of those. For example, I have a glossary now in Excel, where the entries are sorted alphabetically, but it takes a long time to find a word, since it is quite a long glossary.

Thanks a lot to everybody who takes time to help me with thi... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-28 16:01, Mandrapa wrote:

Thanks a lot to everybody who takes time to help me with this important issue.

I have a glossary in Excel too. To search a word, I don\'t look at the alphabetical order, but use the EDIT>SEARCH function of Excel. So I find the word even by searching a part of it. (By entering \"archi\" I\'ll find also \"searching\".)

The Excel file can also be exported as a plain text file, which can be imported by (almost?) all Cats.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-28 21:52 ]Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
If you have the glossary in Excel... Oct 29, 2002

...just save it as tab-delimited text and you\'ll have a full glossary for Wordfast! If you use Wordfast during translation, it will let you know what words within the current sentence are in you glossary (and replace them with the appropriate translations if you like).

Go to www.champollion.net to learn more and get the free fully functional evaluation copy.

Jesús Calzado
Jesús Calzado  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is importing from Trados possible? Oct 29, 2002

I own Trados and I have many glossaries in word format, but I could not find out how to convert them into MultiTerm. Is that possible?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check the Trados FAQs Oct 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-29 16:31, JCD wrote:

I own Trados and I have many glossaries in word format, but I could not find out how to convert them into MultiTerm. Is that possible?

Dead simple, actually - there\'s an easy-to-follow guide on the Trados website: support.trados.com/faq.asp#827 (if the URL doesn\'t get you there dire... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-29 16:31, JCD wrote:

Dead simple, actually - there\'s an easy-to-follow guide on the Trados website: support.trados.com/faq.asp#827 (if the URL doesn\'t get you there directly, it\'s FAQ #22...).

I\'m using this process on a constant basis - a couple of points to note:

- Take a backup copy of your MultiTerm database before importing (the easiest way to do this is to save *all the files* belonging to the database in a zip archive).

- Make sure the field names referring to languages match *exactly* - I drove myself crazy by trying to import \"Deutsch\" into a database that was set up for \"German\"... ▲ Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:18
English to French
xls to a TM Dec 3, 2002

get a free alignment tool (+tools, trans align suite,...) and follow the instructions.

For Wordfast, well, Wordfast is easier then any other CAT I know of, as it uses open formats (txt for instance). So you open your xls file, add the needed columns, fill them up accordingly, save as tab delimited txt, and that\'s your TM, ready to serve.

date&time[tab]user initials...just open any other Wordfast TM to see the columns you need. That simple.

How to Create Glossary Sep 22, 2009

Hi, I have lot of documents for translation where I need to create a Glossary using any application automatically. Could anyone help me in creating a glossary from many related documents.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
WordFinder Oct 4, 2009

My favourite tool is WordFinder (Note. I have no links with the supplier).
Search by typing a word in WordFinder, or simply mark a word in your document and then toggle through WordFinder's glossaries to find a suitable translation, and then press Enter to paste it in, replacing the source word.

You can build it up with a large number of glossaries, bi-lingual or otherwise, and standard dictionaries (eg, Collins English Dictionary).

You can also compile your own g
... See more
My favourite tool is WordFinder (Note. I have no links with the supplier).
Search by typing a word in WordFinder, or simply mark a word in your document and then toggle through WordFinder's glossaries to find a suitable translation, and then press Enter to paste it in, replacing the source word.

You can build it up with a large number of glossaries, bi-lingual or otherwise, and standard dictionaries (eg, Collins English Dictionary).

You can also compile your own glossaries which I find very useful indeed, and add to them whenever you want. I use my own also to note terms preferred by different customers, make notes about other odds and ends, eg, under a keyword such as Trados or whatever to find what I'm looking for.

I've not seen any references to WordFinder on Proz. Am I the only user?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create a glossary, translation memory?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »