Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Trados, Wordfast...I can't understand them!!!
Thread poster: GRAZIA MUSUMECI
absciarretta
absciarretta  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:33
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Trados? No thanks! Mar 23, 2007

I tried using Trados and gave up. And I have a bachelor degree in Computer Science! It was just way too tedious and constraining to use. I have tried Wordfast and liked it a lot but it costs money to use. OmegaT is great, free, easy to use and you can create your own glossaries before you start translating if you want.

I will probably eventually move on to WF, at least for those who demand it, but I will NEVER use Trados again.

Yuck!

María Diehn
María Diehn  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Give TRADOS a try. You can learn it in no time! Apr 1, 2007

Hi Grazia:
I am sure that you can and will understand the instructions for TRADOS. This program stores "units" or segments of SLT and TLT to be reused during translation. The bilingual text is either the result of your translations made via Workbench, or comes from file pairs that you upload onto it through Winalign.
The tutorials will guide you step by step.
Basically, the first time you use TRADOS you create a new "Translation Memory". Open "Workbench", become familiar with
... See more
Hi Grazia:
I am sure that you can and will understand the instructions for TRADOS. This program stores "units" or segments of SLT and TLT to be reused during translation. The bilingual text is either the result of your translations made via Workbench, or comes from file pairs that you upload onto it through Winalign.
The tutorials will guide you step by step.
Basically, the first time you use TRADOS you create a new "Translation Memory". Open "Workbench", become familiar with the menus. Open "New": give a name to the TM, select Source Language and Target Language and leave the default settings. Do all of this and more, following the tutorial.
You have to be very organized with your files, and save the translation memories within a folder to the effect, because when you create a TM, several files are generated, too. These files are linked to the TM and have to be kept always in the same folder. To avoid problems from the beginning, do not work with files with the feature "track changes" enabled,
The software is very convenient even the first time you use it, because when repetitions occur within the same document, it suggests the translation that you made minutes before, which, instead of writing it again, you enter simply by hitting a key. It saves time, because one does not have to type the repeated text, and helps to maintain consistency throughout the whole project. When it comes to customers that regularly need minutes of meetings to be translated, for instance, it makes faster and simpler a job that sometimes is tedious, precisely because of its repetitive nature.
Winalign is the program used to create translation memories out of a pair of files: a source language text and its translation: a target language text. Those can be material that the customer sent for you to have as reference.
To translate a word document with TRADOS. all you have to do is open the document and insert the cursor to the left of the first paragraph, become familiar with the menu and follow the instructions of the documentation.
I hope you wil try it!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados, Wordfast...I can't understand them!!!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »