Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 02:35
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 21, 2007

A client has asked to work in WorldServer and I already have useful TM in Trados. Is there any way to import/convert this TM for using with WorldServer?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Şadan Öz  Identity Verified
Turkey
English to Turkish
Try this Jan 21, 2007

Hi,
First you should export your Trados TM into the TMX format (a universal standard that applies to most CAT tool) and then import it into the IdiomServer memory.
Be sure the language pairs are same in both tools.

I hope it works.

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import Jan 21, 2007

The version I have downloaded doesn't seem to have import function. At least I can see only Export.
So I can't even try to import either tmx or txt exported file.

Can anyone give step by step explanation for what to do when having tmx or txt ready?

Turkey
English to Turkish
Step-by-step Jan 22, 2007

Hi Natalya, my Idiom WorldServer DVX program version is 7.5.39 (it may not be a new version).
Now let me explain my "Trados export-Idiom TM creation-import" procedure (it was successful):
1) Open Trados Workbench:
File > Export > OK > select TMX (e.g. 1.1) as File Type > Save
Then,
2) Open Idiom WorldServer application
3) Be sure that a Translation Memory is currently open.
4) If not (you may not have any existing Memory for Idiom),
File > New > select Translation Memory > select OK
> In the Wizard, select Next
> select Create to specify a TM location
> as default you will be in the My TMs folder
> specify a file name
> select Save
That's all. You have a TMX (Trados exported file) and an empty Idiom TM file.
Now, again in the Idiom WorldServer:
File > Import > File or Database
> in the Wizard, select Next
> in the list, select TMX
> select Next
> click Select... button
> specify the TMX file.

I think it would work now.

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still having problems Jan 22, 2007

Hi Sadan,

3) Be sure that a Translation Memory is currently open.
I did. (Yesterday I have translated one file, moving from one segment to another using shortkeys - so I opened this*.wstm in My TMs folder.)

File > New > select Translation Memory > select OK
There is no OK in this sequence: after I choose Translation memory, the browse window opens and that's all. And there is no Wizard here.
(I have downloaded the free version by the link the client provided - may be this is the reason and my version is different).
I can only enter a new TM name and the TM is created with the same language pair used in previously created TM.

File > Import > File or Database
And finally the options in the File menu are only New, Open, Close, Export and Exit.
So I can not import anything...

The version I have downloaded is Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench.

Turkey
English to Turkish
Then Jan 22, 2007

If you don't mind, give me the download link. I'll have a look it on my PC.

Turkey
English to Turkish
Version Jan 22, 2007

However, I think your limited free version is unable to perform such transactions.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Workaround - translate in TagEditor Jan 24, 2007

Hi Natalya and all,

Great fun to see more Idiom users here om Proz!

It's a very powerful and customizable tool.

First of all, let me tell you a bit about our setup.

We log in to the client's World Server web portal. There we have the choice of downloading the tasks in either SGM, TTX or Idiom's custom format (for translation with the Idiom offline Workbench - I guess this is the one you're using). The task can also be translated online in a browser window, but this is slow and clunky.

For us, it makes more sense to download as SGM and translate in TagEditor. This way, we can use our existing TM without conversion woes!

Another option would be to upload your TMX file to the web interface, but that would mean sharing all the matches with your client. I guess you wouldn't do that for free, but only as part of an agreement.

My undestanding is that you want to have access to your TM while working in the offline Idiom Workbench, but not share it with anyone else?

My suggestion is to move over to working in TagEditor, if you have the choice when downloading the task. If the client dows the download for you, ask them if other formats are available...

Best,

Jan

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 24, 2007

Thanks for inut, Jan.
So far I am busy with another jobs, but the issue is still unsolved.

One issue is that I can not use my old TM.

Another one - the client cmplains about changed format of the files: they send me *.xlz and all that I can get in the end is *.wsprj. (Since there is no save button/icon in the program, I can only open, translate and close - when I close the file saved where it wants to be saved and in this format).

This is the first time I see the program, so I can not tell the client how to use these files, but there is nothing I can do to resave it...

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 01:35
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ask client to change format Jan 24, 2007

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Thanks for inut, Jan.
So far I am busy with another jobs, but the issue is still unsolved.

One issue is that I can not use my old TM.

Another one - the client cmplains about changed format of the files: they send me *.xlz and all that I can get in the end is *.wsprj. (Since there is no save button/icon in the program, I can only open, translate and close - when I close the file saved where it wants to be saved and in this format).

This is the first time I see the program, so I can not tell the client how to use these files, but there is nothing I can do to resave it...

Huh? I'm not really familiar with the formats you mention, but I guess they are custom Idiom export files.

Idiom can be adapted to export content in so many different ways on the server side. Like I said, TTX or SGM shouldn't be a problem, if your client wants to make the small effort and meeting you halfway. Ask them at least...

If you PM me privately, I can give you a corporate contact at Idiom US, that could clarify things for you...

Drop me a message.

/Jan

Turkey
English to Turkish
Solutions Jan 25, 2007

I see it's a complex or version-related problem. Or customer omits something here. If you find any solution for these problems, please share with us. Many CAT tool brings some headaches. Sharing the solutions would be great favour!

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing the solution Jan 26, 2007

The client has found the way to overcome different formats problem.
To save the file in original format (as it was sent):
Menu File Workbench (in the open document) - Export -Finished translation and choose *.xliff extension.

Marina Cavallera
Local time: 20:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
still having problems with Trados TM into Idiom WorldServer Jun 11, 2008

I've been trying to follow the instructions in this forum, as I have a translation done with Trados and need to upload the Idiom project, but I have not the possibility of importing the tmx file into the desktop worldserver. any help please?

[Editado a las 2008-06-11 06:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM into Idiom WorldServer

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs