How can I reverse the language pair in a TM?
Thread poster: Eva Blanar

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:02
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 24, 2007

Problem:
I have both Trados (6.5) and WordFast (5.1) and received a Trados TM export (txt) in the language pair HU-EN, to be used for an EN-HU translation.

It seems my previous WF could reverse the language pairs, but I am unable to find this feature in the present version and I am completely helpless about doing such tricky things with Trados. (I am always afraid of making too many changes with these CATs, because sometimes they behave strangely, afterwards.)

The job is an urgent one - could you give me online help?

TIA,
Eva

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simply import this export into a new Trados TM with EN-HU language pair Mar 24, 2007

This is as easy as that in Trados. As for Wordfast, I don't know.

If using Trados, please pay attention, if your exported TM is English US or English UK and set the TM in Trados correspondingly.

Have a nice weekend
Jerzy

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy Mar 24, 2007

It really seems to work - so simple!
The only disappointing thing is that 100% matches make only 1% (as much as repetitions), so it was hardly worth of the trouble.

Thank you, anyway, have a nice weekend, too.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:02
English to French
+ ...
If I remember correctly Mar 24, 2007

You can use either ApSic's XBench or Enlaso's Olifant (both are TM management software) to do this.

Here are the links:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

I specifically remember XBench has a function called something like 'Swap source & target'. Maybe by doing it this way, you can avoid the 1% penalty...

Whether they do the job or not, I recommend you experiment with these - they have saved me loads of time and have helped me to produce translations that were as consistent as can be. Especially with the new QA features of XBench, you wouldn't believe how many errors you can still find in your work even after five runs of proofing/editing. They are both F-R-E-E!

All the best!

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Use TM Editor and list a command you need Mar 25, 2007

Eva Blanar wrote:

Problem:
I have ...WordFast (5.1) and received a Trados TM export (txt) in the language pair HU-EN, to be used for an EN-HU translation.

It seems my previous WF could reverse the language pairs, but I am unable to find this feature in the present version TIA,...

Eva

In Wordfast toolbar click second icon from right, TM Editor (or press Alt+M).
Click a button "tools", click "Special filters" and click an arow on right and list a command: Reverse source and target.

Milan Condak

Or read Training Manuals 1 and 2. Here is an example:

Training Manual
Beginner level

Session 3 Terminology management
Wordfast's glossary editor

The "Filter and sort" dialog box
The F7 function key (or clicking the "Tools" button, or clicking on column headers) opens up the advanced management tools, which are described in the intermediate (level 2) training session.
Reverse source and target
This filters reverses source and target columns.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Reversing TM in WF is now in TM Editor Mar 25, 2007

Eva Blanar wrote:
It seems my previous WF could reverse the language pairs, but I am unable to find this feature in the present version...

The old version of WF had this integrated in the control panel. The new version of WF has a separate TM editor (a new button just left of the F button). Load the TM in WF using the normal method, then close the control panel, then open the TM editor, and click Tools -> Filters -> Reverse source and target.

Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the WF-related info Mar 25, 2007

As most of my TMs are in WordFast, that's very helpful.

Thank you guys, I do appreciate your help: probably an answer could have been found in manuals or with online sources, but (a) I never have time to read these when I badly need them and (b) help via ProZ.com is far more "human"

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I reverse the language pair in a TM?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs