Thread poster: Thomas Zeisler
Thomas Zeisler
Thomas Zeisler  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:02
English to German
+ ...
Mar 26, 2007

Hi, I have to translate a big word document (280 pages, 21 MB) mit a lot of cross references, pictures and book markers. Which software would you suggest? I've tried TagEditor, I managed to create a ttx file, but Trados (7.5) can't open the file - it just freezes (and I haven't even started translating). It shouldn't be a hardware issue, 1 GB RAM and Dual-Core processor. I don't have much experience with other software, but do you believe SDLX oder Transit would be better? Thanks for any help to... See more
Hi, I have to translate a big word document (280 pages, 21 MB) mit a lot of cross references, pictures and book markers. Which software would you suggest? I've tried TagEditor, I managed to create a ttx file, but Trados (7.5) can't open the file - it just freezes (and I haven't even started translating). It shouldn't be a hardware issue, 1 GB RAM and Dual-Core processor. I don't have much experience with other software, but do you believe SDLX oder Transit would be better? Thanks for any help to tame this monster!
Thomas

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-26 16:14]

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-26 16:31]
Collapse

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
I would use Mar 26, 2007

Transit in the case. Or you can tray to split the doc if you want to use Trados. After the translation is ready you can join the finished parts. Sure you have to check all the links and references after this operation.

[Edited at 2007-03-26 16:51]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 17:02
English to German
+ ...
I would suggest Mar 26, 2007

Hi! If you are a regular trados use, then try file splitting and process, instead of using an unknown tool, you will be confronted with newer problems and will have relevant other questions. Brandis

Thomas Zeisler
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
trados Mar 26, 2007

Hi! If you are a regular trados use, then try file splitting and process, instead of using an unknown tool, you will be confronted with newer problems and will have relevant other questions.

I've thought of that, but I'm a bit afraid of the problems with the cross references.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
that is manageable... Mar 26, 2007

Thomas Zeisler wrote:

Hi! If you are a regular trados use, then try file splitting and process, instead of using an unknown tool, you will be confronted with newer problems and will have relevant other questions.

I've thought of that, but I'm a bit afraid of the problems with the cross references.
ere it is try splitting and process the split files are normal. Merge the files each time a few only, run through corss references. But what kind of cross-references are they. I mean are they numbered or does the pointer leads the cursor to a different location in the document. Eitherway I would, work on split files and after cleaning merge them all and go after cross-references. Brandis

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Which approach? - Word document 280 pages Mar 26, 2007

Try OmegaT. What have you got to lose?

Marc

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Suitability test of Transit Mar 26, 2007

Hi Thomas,
if you only have Transit Satellite, you won't be able to import it. If you send it to me, I'll do an import/export and you can check whether the cross-references are corrupted etc and if the pxf is OK. At least you would know if Transit is suitable, if not you can try another solution. It it is probably worth experimenting a bit. I fear that Trados might be too slow for such a huge document.

Cheers,
Jill

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It certainly will not be to slow :) Mar 26, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Thomas,
if you only have Transit Satellite, you won't be able to import it. If you send it to me, I'll do an import/export and you can check whether the cross-references are corrupted etc and if the pxf is OK. At least you would know if Transit is suitable, if not you can try another solution. It it is probably worth experimenting a bit. I fear that Trados might be too slow for such a huge document.

Cheers,
Jill

If you use Trados with Tageditor (must be the latest version with SP2), the document will certainly need some time to open, but the whole process will then be as fast as usual. This is not an expectation from me, but experience - I already translated documents with similar amount of pages, using this workflow.

Best regards
Jerzy

BTW, I think regardless what you choose, a CAT is a must for such a project.

Thomas Zeisler
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already trying Mar 26, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If you use Trados with Tageditor (must be the latest version with SP2), the document will certainly need some time to open, but the whole process will then be as fast as usual. This is not an expectation from me, but experience - I already translated documents with similar amount of pages, using this workflow.

I've started like this, but divided the document in two pieces. It didn't open in one file - or do you think I didn't have enough patience?

But as you said once it opened in TagEditor it is as fast as usual. (only for the record - I also opened the file in Word and tried to work directly with Trados, the saving of a segment and opening the next segment took about 15 seconds (TM 4000 units)).

Thomas Zeisler
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time and formatting Mar 26, 2007

Marc P wrote:

Try OmegaT. What have you got to lose?

The file has very much formatting: Colours, fonts, bold text, gray tables, in fact it seems more like the exam from a Microsoft Word course.

I don't want to do 280 pages of formatting.

Thomas Zeisler
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 26, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Dear Jill,
thanks for your offer! I've been looking around a bit and it seems as if I'll stick with TagEditor. As soon as it's open it works and I'm used to it.

It would nevertheless be interesting for me to hear from other translators how you resolve this kind of problem. In my opinion FrameMaker is much better for big manuals but there seem to be very many clients who only want to use Word.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you try to open the file in one piece, does Tageditor hang? Mar 26, 2007

It takes some time (well, with big Excel files it may take even half an hour or more!), before the file opens in Tageditor for the first time.
If you try to open the file and Tageditor seems to do nothing, open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL in Windows XP), go to "Processes" tab (I hope it is called so - at least it is called so in my German Windows) and look, if Tageditor does consum processor power - as long it does not show a "0" (zero) there, the process does not hang and you have to w
... See more
It takes some time (well, with big Excel files it may take even half an hour or more!), before the file opens in Tageditor for the first time.
If you try to open the file and Tageditor seems to do nothing, open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL in Windows XP), go to "Processes" tab (I hope it is called so - at least it is called so in my German Windows) and look, if Tageditor does consum processor power - as long it does not show a "0" (zero) there, the process does not hang and you have to wait, until it is finished. After Tageditor shows a 0 there, just after a few seconds you should see the file opened in TE.

Before you start working on the file, do some test translations in the beginning, middle and the end of the file. Simply open one or two segments each time and translate them as usual. Then save the file (CTRL+S) as ttx. After that try to save the file as doc again (Save target as...), using a different name. Check, if the saved file is ok - if so, you will have no problems. If the file causes problems, you can solve them now, before you have the file completly translated and are not able to save it as target.
To avoid any unnecessary problems, use SDL Trados 2006 with the latest service pack (SP 2).

Regards and good luck
Jerzy
Collapse

Thomas Zeisler
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
2 TagEditors? Mar 26, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thanks for your support!

The TagEditor process is working, but I have two TagEditors in the "Applications" tab. Do you know something about this?

Have a nice evening, Thomas

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at the "Process" tab, not application tab Mar 26, 2007

But if you have two Tageditors, something is strange.

The process for translating in Tageditor may be described shortly as follows:

Open Workbench, open TM (or create one).
Start Tageditor. In Tools - Plug-ins activate the Word spell-checker. In Tools - Options set the behaviour for this spell-checker. Restart Tageditor.
Open the file for translation in Tageditor. DO NOT OPEN WORD while working with TE! If you do so, you will spoil the spellchecking process.
... See more
But if you have two Tageditors, something is strange.

The process for translating in Tageditor may be described shortly as follows:

Open Workbench, open TM (or create one).
Start Tageditor. In Tools - Plug-ins activate the Word spell-checker. In Tools - Options set the behaviour for this spell-checker. Restart Tageditor.
Open the file for translation in Tageditor. DO NOT OPEN WORD while working with TE! If you do so, you will spoil the spellchecking process.

When you see two TEs, I would kill both processes, and also any Winword I would see in my "Process" tab of Task Manager. Then I would restart the process with only ONE TE opened.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:02
Swedish to English
+ ...
Cut & paste small bits Mar 26, 2007

An approach that I have used successfully a few times is to do the job in several short stages in Trados.

Stage 1
Copy your original document to a working master copy with a slightly different name.
Open this master copy in Word, delete all cross references, pictures etc. (Pictures can quickly be deleted by searching for ^g and replacing with nothing)

Stage 2
Open up a new empty document ( Document1), cut (not copy) a short section from your master
... See more
An approach that I have used successfully a few times is to do the job in several short stages in Trados.

Stage 1
Copy your original document to a working master copy with a slightly different name.
Open this master copy in Word, delete all cross references, pictures etc. (Pictures can quickly be deleted by searching for ^g and replacing with nothing)

Stage 2
Open up a new empty document ( Document1), cut (not copy) a short section from your master copy, for example a page or a section or a chapter, it does not really matter what -- but keep it fairly short.

Stage 3
Translate the text in Document1 in Trados as normal. This will add all those translations to your Trados TM. No need to save your short section. Then remove all text from Document1. By cutting rather than copying you ensure that you translate every sentence, and do not waste time with overlaps or trying to work out which bit you copied.

Stage 4
Repeat the process -- cut another short section from your master copy, translate in Document1 with Trados, at the end delete the text in Document1. No need to save it. Repeat.

By the end of this process, your master copy of the original will be zero-sized, reduced to nothing -- and all your translations will be safely stored in the TM.
Export your TM for safety. Reorganise your TM.

Stage 5
Load a new copy of your original document into Word. You could now activate the Translate function, but I prefer to take this chance to translate and review each segment in turn -- which now of course will appear automatically from your TM.

In my experience, it will be quicker than translating the complete original file from scratch, and will give you a chance to review your translation.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which approach? - Word document 280 pages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »