Sanika Patwardhan
Sanika Patwardhan
United States
Local time: 19:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2007

I am facing a weird problem here.

I downloaded and installed TRADOS Full version (30 day trial).

I created a Translation Memory with Source Language as Japanese and Target Language as English (UK)

I opened the Translators Workbench and choose the newly created TM to translate the document. I pressed button for translating 'next segment' then it shows source language and target language in two boxes with diff colors. But the problem is both the boxes shows
... See more
I am facing a weird problem here.

I downloaded and installed TRADOS Full version (30 day trial).

I created a Translation Memory with Source Language as Japanese and Target Language as English (UK)

I opened the Translators Workbench and choose the newly created TM to translate the document. I pressed button for translating 'next segment' then it shows source language and target language in two boxes with diff colors. But the problem is both the boxes shows the same text in the same language i.e. source language (japanese)
I guess the first box should show it in Japanese and the other box should show the translated text in the target language (english) but both the boxes show text in Japanese.

Am I doing anything wrong here because I rechecked that while creating TM, I had selected source and target langugage correctly.

I downloaded wordfast, created TM and to my surprise it gives me the same results as TRADOS did..

Could anyone pls share their thoughts.. thanks a lot
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:47
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure what the problem is... Apr 29, 2007

I don't use Trados, but I can tell you about WF, which is quite similar.
If I understand correctly, you chose "new TM" and then selected your source and target languages.
However, the TM is empty until YOU add to it. It seems that you've selected the option to copy the source text into the target box if the segment is less than your threshold for a fuzzy match. At this point, you need to put your translation in the target box and then move on to the next segment.
This is how it
... See more
I don't use Trados, but I can tell you about WF, which is quite similar.
If I understand correctly, you chose "new TM" and then selected your source and target languages.
However, the TM is empty until YOU add to it. It seems that you've selected the option to copy the source text into the target box if the segment is less than your threshold for a fuzzy match. At this point, you need to put your translation in the target box and then move on to the next segment.
This is how it's SUPPOSED to work! The advantage will come next time, when you have a similar text. At that point, your TM will offer you the target text, indicating the level of similarity (as a percentage).
I hope this is what you wanted to know. If not, give us more information about the problem!
Catherine
Collapse

Sanika Patwardhan
Sanika Patwardhan
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Apr 29, 2007

Thanks Catherine..

Thanks a lot for your help!

I got your point but I am newbie to TRADOS as well as WF and just wanted to use them as a Translation Tool...

My expectation was I could use them straight-away for automating the translation process. I can then review and correct (manually) the translation as per my requirements..

I went thru the TRADOS and WF tutorial and got to know that I need to create a TM before I can start with the machine
... See more
Thanks Catherine..

I got your point but I am newbie to TRADOS as well as WF and just wanted to use them as a Translation Tool...

My expectation was I could use them straight-away for automating the translation process. I can then review and correct (manually) the translation as per my requirements..

I went thru the TRADOS and WF tutorial and got to know that I need to create a TM before I can start with the machine translation...so I think I am wrong here..

So as per your response, now I can understand that:
I need to create and 'feed' the translation memory before I can make use of it.. I think I am right here..

As I said earlier I have never used any kind of CAT so my question might be very basic...

So I cannot use TRADOS/WF straigt-away to translate my documents..is that right?

Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
TM means translation memory Apr 29, 2007

if there's been no translation so far, there's no memory.

Except in a rare case (my experience, I did it once and never more) where the text was pretranslated with the express wish to replace - if there's nothing else available - the source into the target.

Sanika Patwardhan
Sanika Patwardhan
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another problem now! Apr 30, 2007

Thanks for your responses...

I decided to get rid of TRADOS and WF.

Uninstalled TRADOS through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs..

Removed WF by searching all files in my computer with names Wordfast.*

Now, I can see there is no icon for TRADOS and WF, appearing in my Word application..

But there were few documents on my Desktop which I had tried translating through WF as well as TRADOS... The document contains Japanese text and
... See more
Thanks for your responses...

I decided to get rid of TRADOS and WF.

Uninstalled TRADOS through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs..

Removed WF by searching all files in my computer with names Wordfast.*

Now, I can see there is no icon for TRADOS and WF, appearing in my Word application..

But there were few documents on my Desktop which I had tried translating through WF as well as TRADOS... The document contains Japanese text and the 'Translation Segments' are delimited by some characters like '
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Why did you get rid of it? Apr 30, 2007

A CAT tool is immensely useful, it just takes a little time to build up a TM!
Are the documents on your desktop jobs you need to turn in? The "clean-up" process would have added them to the TM for the next time! At this point, you either have to reinstall WF or Trados, or go through the document and get rid of all the delimiters and the source language by hand or using the "search and replace" function.
Catherine

Sanika Patwardhan
Sanika Patwardhan
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I get rid of those delimiters, if I reinstall the WF? Apr 30, 2007

Thanks Catherine

cbolton wrote:

Are the documents on your desktop jobs you need to turn in?

I could not understand this...

Do you mean, whether I need these documents for my translation jobs? Yes, I do..

cbolton wrote:

The "clean-up" process would have added them to the TM for the next time! At this point, you either have to reinstall WF or Trados, or go through the document and get rid of all the delimiters and the source language by hand or using the "search and replace" function.
Catherine

I am not sure what is this clean-up process..

Anyways, I deleted those documents from my desktop and downloaded the fresh copy of the same document from my mail client...

I was assuming that the new copy of the document will not have those delimiters...but I am not sure how come it does?
While downloading, I saved it using diff name, but still it contained those delimiters.. Another thing is one traslation unit is appearing twice (in the same language), in other words, One Japanese Language statement is appearing twice (one after another) but in different color font..

I really don;t want those delimiters to appear when I open any document..is that the flaw with TRADOS/WF?

If I reinstall WF again, what step do I need to follow to get rid of those delimiter?

Could you also let me know how do I build the TM after creating one?
I created the TM with Source as 'Japanese' and Target as 'English'.. but when I 'get' the segment for translation, it shows me both as Japanese...

Do I need to manually translate the text in the target box and add it to the TM to build the TM?? Am I correct here?

The manual of WF and TRADOS talk about creating TM but not about building the TM..The example they have show in the manual...shows that the source box contains Source Language and the Target Box shows the translated text in the target language...How come does it translate without building TM?

Thanks...

[Edited at 2007-04-30 17:05]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You need to understand what a CAT tool is for Apr 30, 2007

Hi Sanika,

I believe you need to get a grasp of what a CAT tool is for. CAT tools are very useful, but they don't translate anything for you - not one single word. They have nothing to do with machine translation.

All a CAT tool consists of is a framework for you to type your (completely manual) translation into.

You have a box containing the sentence in the source language at the top.

Below is an empty box. You think up the translation into th
... See more
Hi Sanika,

I believe you need to get a grasp of what a CAT tool is for. CAT tools are very useful, but they don't translate anything for you - not one single word. They have nothing to do with machine translation.

All a CAT tool consists of is a framework for you to type your (completely manual) translation into.

You have a box containing the sentence in the source language at the top.

Below is an empty box. You think up the translation into the target language and then type it into the target box.

As soon as you click the button and have moved on to the next sentence and pair of boxes, the previous pair of sentences (created entirely by you) has been saved in the translation memory. If you ever get the same (or a very similar sentence) again, the CAT tool will remind you of what you wrote before, so that you can choose to use the same translation again if you want.

Any time that the source sentence appears in the box below as well, this means that there is a box checked in one of the menus instructing the CAT tool to add the source sentence automatically into the box for the target sentence. The advantage of this is to help you to think. You can erase the words in the target box one by one as you translate them.

Once you have grasped this much, we will tell you more about how CAT tools can help you.

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS and Wordfast - Same Source and Target Language

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »