Mobile menu

Difference between Trados and Wordfast word count
Thread poster: Fabrice -
Fabrice -
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

I am trying to get a word count from an htm file converted in rtf using Rainbow 4.

So it's an htm file with an rtf layer "locking" the htm code and leaving only the actual text for translation.

Unlike anycount or Ms Words, Trados and Wordfast are able to count only the text but I get a big difference in word count.

Trados 20990
Wordfast 25436

(Anycount/Ms word 33777)

Any other tool I could use to confirm which is more accurate wordfast or Trados?

Direct link Reply with quote

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
English to German
Try MetaTexis Jul 3, 2007

Hello Fabrice,

you can compare the wordcount of TRADOS and Wordfast with the word count of MetaTexis. The results of the MetaTexis analysis are very detailed. So you might find out where the differences come from.

Best regards
Hermann

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
DVX Jul 3, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:
Any other tool I could use to confirm which is more accurate wordfast or Trados?

I guess DVX would show the lowest word count for this kind of file, but the word counts of different CAT tools are equally "accurate" - they are only valid for the respective tool, and they are not convertible.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 21:12]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
more useful Jul 4, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:

Trados 20990
Wordfast 25436

(Anycount/Ms word 33777)

I think it would be more useful to determine what criteria are being applied to the word counts in each, becuase then you could assess whether you as a translator should include or exclude the words accounting for the difference.

The notion of "more accurate" is misleading - more accurate for what purposes? Each of these tools is accurate according to its own defined criteria.

Trados is probably excluding numbers. If this were Spanish, I would want to include numbers that had a comma marking the decimal rather than a point ...to a reasonable point.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to count it in MS Word Jul 4, 2007

Fabrice Renaud wrote:
Unlike anycount or Ms Words, Trados and Wordfast are able to count only the text but I get a big difference in word count.

Do an Extract using Wordfast, then count it in MS Word.

Fabrice -
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
19352 words Jul 4, 2007

Thanks Samuel, I never used the wf extract function before.

After doing the extract to get a word count I add the Wf_Repetitions.Txt and Wf_Extracted.Txt?

If so after some clean up I get 19352 words

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
User Wf_Extracted only Jul 5, 2007

Fabrice wrote:
After doing the extract to get a word count I add the Wf_Repetitions.Txt and Wf_Extracted.Txt?

The Wf_Extracted contains all the translatable text in the document. The Wf_Repetitions contains all segments that occur more than once. Therefore, use only WF_Extracted.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Trados and Wordfast word count

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs