+ ...
Jul 10, 2007

I work on a big project via an agency and they wanted me to work
with Trados. I know how to use it but I did not buy this CAT. So,
after discussing with the project manager, I downloaded the Trados
trial version and began working on the project. But they had some
delay (not from my side) and my trial version will not be sufficient
until the end of this project.

I decided to buy MetaTexis which seems easier to use AND cheaper !
But the agency made some changes : now they don't send us the MT.
Instead we have a connexion to a Trados Server, so the MT is on the
Server. I use TWB and Word for the translations.

Do you think it will be possible to switch to MetaTexis ? And what
about this Trados Server ? Does anybody did this before ?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:47
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
I am not so familiar with MetaTexis Jul 10, 2007

Although I have easily learned how to use many CATs, my experience with MetaTexis was not so good.

Anne-Sophie Jubien wrote:

Instead we have a connexion to a Trados Server, so the MT is on the Server. I use TWB and Word for the translations.

I assume you mean TM (Translaton Memory), not MT.

To use a TM anywhere you must have a good Internet connection. This is essential for such projects. Otherwise, ask the client to send you the TM. As for your main question, I don't know if MetaTexis can connect to online TMs.

Martin Wenzel
Local time: 00:47
English to German
+ ...
Trados versus Metatexis Jul 11, 2007

Salut Anne-Sophie,

Now I have both softwares. If I understand you correctly, the agency wants you to work online with the Trados server.

I haven't heard that Trados and Metatexis have a common server. Don't mix up Trados MT (which is probabyl French for Trados Memoire Traduction and not Metatexis because I haven't seen this MT abbreviation before...which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however....). TM, really is the English abbreviation for translation memory.

I can give you one piece of advice. Contact Herman Burns or Bruns, the author of Metatexis through the website and ask him what you should do...

The thing I am worried about is if several translators keep changing their vocabulary on the server, the others would always have to integrate the current changes in their past translations to be consistent with the vocab... I don't quite understand this as yet, but imagine there is "loads of unpaid hidden" time, SO BEWARE!

PS. Have you signed any contracts with the agency and could you back out? The other only option you seem to have is to buy the Trados licence...

But, FIRST, ask Herman what he thinks...

Anne-Sophie Jubien  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
TM ! Jul 11, 2007

Sorry, of course, I meant TM (Translation Memory) instead of MT (Mémoire de Traduction) !

Martin, thank you for your advice but I already let a message on the Metatexis list and Hermann could not answer my question, too.
Actually I bought Trados today.

I did not sign any contract with the agency but I am working on a big project. They organised a pool of 5 translators who are working simultaneously. The TM is not sent by e-mail but we can access to it through the Trados server. It is very easy and if I do not agree with a term I just contact the agency so they decide if my suggestion is better or not.
As we have to deliver the translated documents every 2 days, there is no question of correcting the work done. I don't know how they manage for that !...

De Sena Viegas  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How about (2 years later) Dec 29, 2009

To "switch" to MetaTexis could make sense, if you have a big and consistent translation memory and also a big TDB in MetaTexis format, so that your translation work would be easier by using this program

One of the solutions could be:

1 - COPY + PASTE the document you need to translate.

2 - Translate it with MetaTexis.

3 - COPY + PASTE back to the online project.

This could be one of the procedures, but you'll need more time.
The other point is, how do they divide the work flow? Page? Chapter? Consecutive?

[Editat el 2009-12-29 23:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados MT on a Server + MetaTexis ??

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs