Thread poster: Hinara

Hinara  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2003

TRADOS received my TRADOS software yesterday. I decided to “learn” the program by practicing. I am using Word, Workbench and MultiTerm, as well as a users guide that I downloaded from their site. In the process of the translation I have typed and entered various terms that repeat throughout the document using the (up and down arrows) button to save the source and target terms to the translation memory. However, when I encounter the same term again and type it, the workbench does not find the term in its memory. I thought once the term is entered, it will bring it up again so that I do not have to retype it…? Can someone explain? Help please.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please be more precise Jan 24, 2003

What do you mean with moving up and down in text with arrows?

Do you open a new translation unit with \"Alt+Home\" or using the Trados toolbar?

Where are you entering the terms?

Translating with Trados means mainly translating the text sentece by sentence, and saving those sentences one by one in your Trados TM. Translation memory (this is what Workbench generates) is not expected to save single terms. This is the part of Multiterm. Try to start only using Workbench and learn how it works. Then try to learn Mutliterm.

Provide us with more information about the steps you done, perhaps then someone will be able to help.

Raúl Waldman
Local time: 03:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some useful aids Jan 25, 2003

Hilda: according to my own experience as a beginner with TRADOS, these are the most useful aids when one is at \'ground level\':

1. TRADOS \'animated\' tutorials, especially those referring to Workbench and Multiterm. They are **great**!

2. Among the various available manuals, read firstly \'First Steps with TRADOS 5.5\'. It\'s really for beginners, and it\'s the most \'reader friendly\'.

You can download all these from, under the titles \'Evaluation & Tutorials\' and \'Documentation\' respectively.

If you combine the practice at your PC with

the study of these materials, you can really learn the principles of TRADOS.

Then you can enter into the details by reading the other manuals, that are less friendly but very complete.

Raúl Waldman.

Local time: 01:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
maybe it's the button you're using Jan 25, 2003

There are various different buttons in the toolbar. The one which only has the opening parenthesis [(] will only open a new translation unit. Then you close [)]. Now, when you come upon the same sentence again, you must press the button with the parenthesis AND the downwards arrow [(|)]; otherwise the program will only open a new (and empty) translation unit. If you have already pressed the parenthesis and the sentence is empty, press the botton with only the downwards arrow in it. These commands appear in the Trados menu as \"Open\" for the parenthesis, \"Open/Get\" for the parenthesis/downwards arrow, and \"Get translation\" for the arrow alone.

My advice is forget the toolbar and use the keyboard instead. If you are a good typer it will be much faster. Alt+home to Open/Get, Alt+end to close, Alt+Insert to copy the original text, Alt+Delete to erase translation, and Alt+* to Translate to Fuzzy.

Good luck, Trados is a program everyone thinks it\'s scarier than it really is; it actually is very instinctive and you can learn it in no time without needing to take classes. Have fun!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New TRADOS user - unable to leverage TM in Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs